How to take the Binki away?

Hayden is 15 months and extremely attached to the binki in the car, and for naps and bed. I tried taking it away and she sucks her thumb, which is the whole reason I gave her the binki.
How can I take it away without her screaming for days or going to the thumb?? I tried cutting it. It didn't work.

Haydensmom326

Asked by Haydensmom326 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we talked to our daughter just before she was 2 and we told her that "big girls" don't need a binki and on her 2nd birthday we tied it to a couple of balloons told her to say goodbye and we let the balloons go! It was cute and she did not ask for it again.
    Skylor4

Answer by Skylor4 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• totally love the answer from "skylor4"..thats adorable!! but, i think hayden is a little too young for that, so i would have to say that i think you should take it away completely right now in the daytime! only use it for a few days JUST at night...not at naptime! JUST AT NIGHT! and then (this is what mitchell would do) if she wakes up in the middle of the night, do not get up to give it to her! and then after a few days, take it away at night too! ya know, if you take it away completely, she will forget real easily! she will cry when she is used to getting it, but i would rather that, than trying to get it away from her forever!
    ilovemypnut86

Answer by ilovemypnut86 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Send them away to Santa or other babies. Find a way for her to willingly give it up and DO NOT give in. Take it and be done with it.
    Anonymous

• what has worked for me and a few friends of mine, get some helium balloons and ties the passies on the end. tell you baby that the angel babies in heaven need them and asked from them to get sent to them. i know some might not want to try it but i swear it works. just tell the the other babies say thank you for your gift and that they will get something for you. hope it works for you..
    sweetheart6048

Answer by sweetheart6048 at 10:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Well Camden was younger when the binki went away what happened was he got his first cold and poor guy was so out of breath from trying to suck on it bc he couldn't breath that i just took it away he was fine and never cared to have it back once he felt better, i don't know if that would even help she probably has a good attachment to it now ?
    TraceyLynne

Answer by TraceyLynne at 11:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You can sew it up in a Build-A-Bear stuffed animal. BUT, our Parents as Teachers assistant told us not to worry about "taking away" the binki. Our daughter is 2. Children use a binki to self sooth, and should be allowed to do that. Learning to self sooth is an important milestone for infants/toddlers.
    LinaLousMama

Answer by LinaLousMama at 12:18 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My 2.5yr old son still gets it for naps and bedtime- dentist isn't worried about it and his speech is fine. No hurry here
    0507boys4me

Answer by 0507boys4me at 12:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I pondered this question for a long time. When my oldest son was young the dentist told me to slowly cut a little bit off of his pacifier. He told me that he would finally get rid of it and that worked. My twin girls, however, did not fall for that trick. They just kept on sucking! So, I finally decided to go cold turkey right before they turned 2. One of my girls were getting way too attached to it and I was afraid it would get even harder as time goes by. They are doing great now. The twin that was attached to it asked for it for a while (especially at night), but I gave her a blankie instead. Finally she quit asking for it and I don't have to hunt for pacifiers all the time. Woo Hoo!!
    leshee

Answer by leshee at 1:48 AM on Jun. 20, 2008