• In the Spotlight:

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate.

Do you get your kids vaccinated? What if your reson for choosing too or not to? If not, what about when it is time to start school. Is it somesort of rule they have to be current on vacinnations before they can go to school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• religious exemption.

Anonymous

• We don't vaccinate for the simple reason that through extensive research, we decided they were not safe, and that we would build up our childrens immune systems naturally.

There are (as the PP said) religious exemptions in the USA, but I live in Ireland, and they neither ask nor care whether or not the parents chose to vaccinate here.

Do thorough research on vaccinations before you come to a decision.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have done some vaccinations so far, but I am a bit hesitant on continueing after all that I read. I think every state has different laws, but I think in most states you have to vaccinate unless you have a religeous exemption or for medical reasons. I am curious too about if I dont continue to vax what will I do when it comes time for school.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 4:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i wouldnt go without
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 4:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I vaccinate my son. Ultimately it's up to you what you do with your child. I would recommend researching both sides of the issue so you can make an educated decision on the subject. That's what I did.
    zeebz

Answer by zeebz at 4:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Every parent needs to read the Dr. Sears Vaccine Book (you can get it under $15 on amazon.com).

And no it doesn't say don't vax your kids, it actually doesn't say either. He lays out the info and you can make your decision. It is the most important book you can read regarding this subject and no parent should make a decision without it.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• All of my kids are vaccinated, and will continue to be so.

I strongly suggest if you want to do research you do not rely on the opinions of other moms on any mom boards. Do legitimate research, read the STUDIES not articles on the studies. Read studies from legitimate journals, not from magazines.

Anonymous

• Does it make you a bad parent if you didn't do the research and just felt more comfortable vaccinating?? If so, then I'm a bad parent :)

I am completely comfortable vaccinating my son. I did think about not vaccinating but I would much rather him get them than not get them.

As for schools, I'm not sure what our district does, but I think you may need to sign something saying you are choosing not to vaccinate.

Like other posters said, it is ultimately up to you. Don't let anything sway you into thinking their way, do what is comfortable for you and your family. There is NO wrong decision.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• We don't vax. If we decide to send them to school we'll use a religious exemption.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I am delaying the vax until she is atleast a year old. SIDS risk is a lot lower, and thats what i am worried about.
    Rebekahs_Mommy

Answer by Rebekahs_Mommy at 5:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2009