If my son constantly says that he is going to kill me, should I worry, about it?

A psychologist has already talk to him as well as a psychiatric and both agree he is a normal kid, my son said he lies to get away from treatment but really he hates me and one day will kill me.

Momlisa2001

Asked by Momlisa2001 at 2:39 AM on Nov. 4, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Really? You don't think that maybe you should be a little concerned? I would mention to the psyche doctor that he told you he is lying to escape treatment. I would think they know that, but maybe not. Should you worry? Perhaps. He may be all talk no action, but do you really want to wait until he attempts something.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:07 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Maybe you need to get him on tap, say this. If you can. If I were you I would be sleeping with a locked bedroom door.
    Does he know this bothers you. When he says this do you let him have his way.
    I would have a tendency to tell him, after he said that. If you do, you will go to jail. Where you will be some ones "but budy". Killing me will not stop you from having rules in life.

Answer by louise2 at 7:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• How "constantly"? What kinds of situations lead to this?
    He sounds angry & that's what I would focus on. If he's highly frustrated, he will be enraged. That is what I would focus on--creating the conditions for less frustration, more acknowledgment. Being (feeling) seen & recognized for who he is would be a good start.
    Yes, a "normal" kid can be angry.
    Why don't you consider getting some therapy support for yourself? You could talk primarily about your frustrations & fears around your son. You could choose a family therapist or a child psychologist (many good child psychologists typically work primarily with the parents, anyway) but in doing this you would be helping to address & improve your son's primary environment, which would support change/resolution and relief in him. That would help to address his behavior & his dramatic verbal acting out.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• The next time he says he's going to kill you, take him to the hospital and have him admitted to the psych ward. He's clearly a danger to others.

This will do one of two things: It will either convince him that what he is saying is very serious and he needs to stop yanking your chain with it. Or it will get him the help he needs.

You are his mother. You must do what is best for him now, before he really IS a danger to others.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• If it were me, I would worry. That's not a normal thing to say.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:20 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• What initiates this talk? Why does he say he hates you so much?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• If he is constantly saying this, and you are not worried about it, next time tell him to go ahead and get it over with.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Um, I guess I'm not understanding.... Why would a normal child say those things? Do you say those things? Why does he feel that way? I've known normal and I've known dysfunctional, but still neither one says they are going to kill someone. That's just wrong on all levels.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:37 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Have him arrested. A night in the clink might scare him straight.
    If he wants to talk like a "big tough man" maybe he should see what happens to "big tough guys" like that.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:48 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• I guess I would be worried about the underlying rage and powerlessness that obviously drive statements like that. They must be coming from somewhere. Have you two attended therapy together and talked through why your son feels that way about you? I'm sorry, it must be hard to hear those things coming from your own child, even if you aren't worried about your physical safety at this point.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2013