Scout camp

Dear Mum,

Our Scoutmaster told us to write to our parents in case you saw the flood on TV and got worried. We are okay. Only one of our tents and 2 sleeping bags got washed away. Luckily, none of us got drowned because we were all up on the mountain looking for Adam when it happened.

Oh yes, please call Adam's mother and tell her he is okay. He can't write because of the cast. I got to ride in one of the search and rescue Jeeps. It was great. We never would have found Adam in the dark if it hadn't been for the lightning.

Scoutmaster Ted got mad at Adam for going on a hike alone without telling anyone. Adam said he did tell him, but it was during the fire so he probably didn't hear him. Did you know that if you put petrol on a fire, the petrol will blow up?

The wet wood didn't burn, but one of the tents did and also some of our clothes.
Matthew is going to look weird until his hair grows back.

We will be home on Saturday if Scoutmaster Ted gets the bus fixed. It wasn't his fault about the crash. The brakes worked okay when we left. Scoutmaster Ted said that with a bus that old, you have to expect something to break down; that's probably why he can't get insurance.

We think it's a super bus. He doesn't care if we get it dirty, and if it's hot, sometimes he lets us ride on the bumpers. It gets pretty hot with 45 people in a bus made for 24. He let us take turns riding in the trailer until the policeman stopped and talked to us.

Scoutmaster Ted is a neat guy. Don't worry, he is a good driver. In fact, he is teaching Horace how to drive on the mountain roads where there aren't any cops. All we ever see up there are huge logging trucks.

This morning all of the guys were diving off the rocks and swimming out to the rapids. Scoutmaster Ted wouldn't let me because I can't swim, and Adam was afraid he would sink because of his cast (it's concrete because we didn't have any plaster), so he let us take the canoe out. It was great. You can still see some of the trees under the water from the flood.

Scoutmaster Ted isn't crabby like some scoutmasters. He didn't even get mad about the life jackets. He has to spend a lot of time working on the bus so we are trying not to cause him any trouble.

Guess what? We have all passed our first aid merit badges. When Andrew dived into the lake and cut his arm, we all got to see how a tourniquet works.

Steve and I threw up, but Scoutmaster Ted said it was probably just food poisoning from the left-over chicken. He said they got sick that way with food they ate in prison. I'm so glad he got out and became our scoutmaster. He said he sure figured out how to get things done better while he was doing his time. By the way, what is a pedal-file?

I have to go now. We are going to town to post our letters and buy some more beer and ammo. Don't worry about anything. We are fine and tonight it's my turn to sleep in the Scoutmaster's tent.

Your loving son
Jack

goldpandora

Asked by goldpandora at 6:14 AM on Nov. 4, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Oh gosh.
    One year my son was a counselor and I get a call telling me that he broke his thumb. He is fine. It is casted and he is just fine.
    Next week he gets poison ivy but not serious enough to tell us.
    We found out because it was a big powwow and parents were to come. He looked awful but was fine.
    He also had a small cut on his arm. Evidently he needed some feather s and had spent his pay so he chased a turkey into a tree. Turkey was fine but did lose a half a dozen feathers. He also showed off his dirty casted thumb.
    I get a call the next week telling me that he has fallen off a mountain and didn't mention it until he couldn't breathe. In to emergency.
    They didn't really think it was that serious but would call after the doctor made their call click.
    Three cracked ribs, and air block scar clean across his torso and one through his eyebrow and into the forehead
    We were at the camp by the time they got back
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Too Funny!!! LOL! Could you imagine???
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:07 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Wow! Hahaha, it gets better and better!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:38 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• He and his buddies decided that it would be great to go hiking on their day off. They are all well trained but DS has a broken casted thumb. He of course thought he would be fine. Then it started to misty rain. Anyone who has climbed knows that is dangerous for expert climbers in top conditions. They just do not do it. They were about half way up and continued upward. A little later half decided to go back down and four continued up. The first to start down were not quite to the bottom when DS fell past them. Ds got up fairly quickly but they were all scared they would get in trouble so kept quiet. They ended up one short on counselors. He still has the scars.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:06 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• No it was ot funny at the time but looking back it is a funny thing. When we took him to his own doctor the man was justaring at him. He finally told him that he was very lucky he was having a flubber day or he could easily have been dead.
    I busted out laughing but my son had no idea. I rented the one with flubber in it. Was it the Nutty Proffessor or was it Flubber lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:24 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Dardenella, I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time as in REALLY not funny but you have me in stitches! Thank you!
    goldpandora

Comment by goldpandora (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2013