Fasting 12 hours before routine bloodwork?

have you ever heard of this? ive heard of fasting before glucose tests but just for routine bloodwork to complete a physical? WTF. this is what my doctor said to do before i get my bloodwork done tomorrow. my appt is at 215 so im going to be in dire straights by the time i get to my appt lol

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 4, 2013 in Health

• It's for the sugar and cholesterol portion of your blood work. Eight hours is usually the standard so I'm not sure why he said 12 but he's the doctor :) Lipids levels can change at an hourly rate so this will give them a baseline to work with because food prior definitely causes a pretty big variation.
    Daigen

Answer by Daigen at 8:48 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• My doctor always says nothing but water after midnight. I always try to get a morning appt for the bloodwork.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:11 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• I have also been told 12 hours. What they do is schedule the test for like 8 in the morning, and it isn't hard to stop eating at 8 the evening before. I was allowed water and clear coffee and tea.

Answer by Bmat at 9:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• I did this last week. They draw blood and do urine sample. Testing your Cholesterol, Triglcyerides etc.
    My appt was at 10:00a.m. so I slept thru most of my 12 hour wait time.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:13 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Afternoon blood work is evil, but yeah, that's pretty standard. Bring something with (that you can't smell) to eat as soon as you're done.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:16 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• hubby has to fasst every time they do his
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Yes, I've heard of it. The timing of yours sucks though. Is 2:15 the earliest they could get you in?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:27 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Yep it's normal. I would have held off for an appointment in the morning, though.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Perfectly normal. I fast for all of my blood work, just in case the doc forgets to tell me I was supposed to. That's happened to me a couple of times.

Your appt. time is not pretty, but it is doable. Cold water usually takes the edge off my hunger. Good luck.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• I had to do the same thing for my Physical ... It's perfectly normal but it really sucks they scheduled you so late in the afternoon! Good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2013