My nephew is almost 5 and a half and wont poop in the potty

He started finally peeing in the potty when he was almost 5, but now he is almost 5 and a half (January) and he will not poop in the potty. My daughter is 5 and a half (they are 6 months apart) she has been potty trained for sometime. She is in kindergarten my nephew is suppose to be in kindergarten this year, but they didn't put him in because he still poops his pants. My sister will make him sit on the potty, but he still wont go poop in it he will go in another room to poop his pants then he will come out and tell my sister to change him she will be in the middle of something so tell him he needs to wait he will scream and cry at her and yell CHANGE ME NOOOOOOOW. He is in underwear all day and night he doesn't care. Sometimes he will even poop his pants and shake his leg to make it fall out of his leg then go on with whatever he was doing. My sister sometimes has him clean himself up and if it falls on the floor she has him clean that up and he does clean it up but he still does this. Dr told her just to put him on every evening with a book after dinner for so many minutes (i forget how long they said) and to put a stool under his feet so they are at level and easier to go to the bathroom but he still wont go.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Nov. 4, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my 27 month old is potty trained fully other than night time and he still isn't trained fully
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Your operative word here is "won't".

This isn't a potty-training issue. Clearly the boy knows when he needs to poop. He's choosing not to use the toilet. He needs to understand that using the toilet is a much more pleasant choice than not using the toilet.

But, unless your sister has specifically asked for your help in this matter, this is NOT YOUR BUSINESS.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

You want a ribbon?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Has she tried ACTUALLY disciplining him?? If my son or daughter was doing this I would bust their butts! Or take away some of his favorite stuff!!! Unless he has medical issues that prevent him from going to the potty Then there is no reason for this behavior!!!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• What are the negative reprecussions of this behavior? What has she done to make this an unpleasant experience for him? Making him clean it up once in a while isn't enough, obviously.
    Her keeping him from going to school was probably a good idea, as his maturity level is probably not where it needs to be anyhow. Giving him this extra year was a smart decision.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:12 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• no she doesn't discipline him he hardly gets discipline as it is. He will yell and hit my sister and everything. She has just started taking away the wii, kindle and ds, but the ds she lets him have if he at least sits on the potty. So I think that is why he doesn't care about the other 2 because he knows all he has to do is sit on it then she will let him have it.

She has NEVER potty trained him she since 18 months has always asked him do you have to go potty he says no so she doesn't take him or she would say lets go potty he would scream say he didn't want to so she didn't make him. Now I know you don't force or make an 18 month or 2 year old, but at 5 something is wrong there.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Has she asked for your help with this situation?
    Daigen

Answer by Daigen at 10:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• he was going to daycare, but doesn't go anymore since because he can't afford it they cut her off from getting childcare help because she lives with her boyfriend so they make to much. The daycare had him in the baby room because he wasn't potty trained until he was 4 then finally went into the preschool room but first accident he hasd they made him go back to the baby room. They said he was ready for kindergarten mentally, but the only thing keeping him back was his potty training
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• yes she has asked for my help because all my kids were potty trained before the age of 2 so she has asked me. And I have worked with him a little but the thing is she doesn't continue with what I do so he doesn't keep up with it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Does he live with you?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 4, 2013