My dd is having bad dreams

I asked this question the other morning, but it was like 3 in the morning I only got one reply so I am asking again to see if I get more responses. My dd is in kindergarten and 5 years old and ever since she started kindergarten she has had bad dreams. The 8 years of being a parent I haven't ever had one of my kids wake me up to a bad dream. But the last few weeks she has been waking anywhere from 1-3 times a week and as much as 3 times a night then she has school the next morning. She shares a room with her 2 year old sister for now til we get the other room finished to switch her over but the dreams she has is either of her dying or someone like her sister getting killed. Our our cats having sharp teeth and killing people. She doesn't watch scary things I am constantly watching whatever my kids watch. But when she wakes up she wants to sleep in my bed I have let her 2 times but hate doing that since none of my kids got into that habit of sleeping with me and daddy. But I am so tired anymore. One day last week she woke up at 2am after finally getting her back into her bed she came back into my room at 330am crying with another dream so I then let her sleep in my bed, but her and daddy were taking up the whole bed so I was up from 2am until i went to bed that night at 9pm. Then last night she woke up with a bad dream at 3am so we let her sleep with us but she took up the bed so I have been up since 3am it is now about 10 maybe a little after and I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Nov. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• Again, I'd be really careful about letting your daughter get into the habit of sleeping in your bed after a bad dream. This will be an easy habit to fall into and a very hard one to break. Comfort her and put her back in her own bed. Many children of that age go through nightmares. My kindergartner has them off and on, and she doesn't watch scary movies or anything violent on TV, either.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:26 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• My first thought is to get a bigger bed that will fit all of you. Both of my kids when through a phase where they had nightmares. Shoot, just last month my 10 year old climbed into bed with me after a nightmare. My 6 year old still tries to sleep in my bed as often as she can, and we just tell her no. If/When she does have a scary dream we'll let her cuddle with us, and one of us will put her back into her bed after she falls back asleep again.

I don't see a huge problem with providing a child with some extra comfort and security when they need it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:39 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• So sleep in her bed or on the couch.

I taught my children to direct their dreams. You do not say her age but I am guessing 5 plus. If you do not know how to direct your dreams you may need to read a book on the subject or get someone (professional) to teach you. It is not hard but you do ned to kno what you are doing.

My guess is that at the heart of the matter there has been some changes that she is having to deal with, things that scare her. She can not deal with the in real life so she must face them in her dreams. This does not mean she is actually afraid of your cats. They are just a vehicle for her fear to play out, unless of course she was attacked by the cat.
    I would start talking to her about her day and what she is doing
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:44 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Bad dreams are a normal part of childhood even if they don't happen to every kid. Your daughter is probably a little stressed over the changes in her life and her anxiety is showing up in her dreams. Perfectly normal and even healthy bc it allows her to vent her stress in her sleep and continue to function during the day. I'd lie with her until she goes back to sleep then go back to my own bed. This eliminates the habit of sleeping in your bed while it comforts her
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 4, 2013

• There is this awesome Blue's clues episode about directing your dreams, you can watch it on youtube. Episode 6 season 2 What was Blue's Dream About? My daughter recently told me since she saw that episode she can make her dreams about anything she wants. But really you have to just say ok sorry you had a bad dream, hug and lay her down in her own bed and say good night. She may wake up a couple more times but if you keep this routine going soon she will not wake up expecting to cuddle in your bed.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 12:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:51 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• My DD at four has an occasional bad dream and I explained the folk lore of a dream catcher and hung one next to her bed. It has really helped her with not getting anxious about going to sleep.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 3:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• girls at this age
    very common to have night terrors
    and usually they do not remember in am, IF you get them back to sleep asap
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2013