Do your kids drink coffee?

I have a friend on FB who gives her 3 year old decaf coffee every morning. Is this weird to you? She just posted a picture of her 1yr old drinking her 3yr olds decaf.

I know decaf has no caffeine (Obviously) But I have never heard of anyone actually giving their child a cup of coffee before this.

Do your kids drink coffee? Age?

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 1:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• My 14 year old does. Sometimes my younger ones will ask for a cup and I give it to them. But not regularly and not very often.

And decaf does have caffeine, just much less than regular.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• My 8 yr. old's first word, other than HI, was "bean" as he reached up for a coffee bean whenever I was grinding my morning coffee. He now gets some in milk on the weekends. DH will give him sips of his coffee to taste the flavors if it is really good roast (he is a coffee roaster.) He still loves eating coffee beans too.

My 14 &15 yr. olds will make a cup of coffee for themselves if they need a pick me up in the morning. 5 am kind of kicks them in the rear some days. The 14 yr. old is like her little brother and has always loved coffee. Always black, too. My 15 yr. old just started liking the taste this past summer.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:27 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• nope---they hardly even drink pop/soda
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• no,12

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Not when they were little. My mom used to give me coffee in milk when I was growing up.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:56 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• I find that weird. I have a 13, 10,5, and 6 month old and none of them drink coffee. Decaf actually has traces of caffeine left as the process cannot strip all the caffeine. Not to mention if it was naturally decaffeinated or stripped with tons of chemicals.
    WhyPiggy

Answer by WhyPiggy at 1:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• No. I have an 18 year old. But he hasn't tried it yet. Why would she give it to babies? Weird.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Since Neither DH or I like coffee it was never available to them until they were on their own. DS will drink it and DD does not. I think it is not a good idea to give them coffee, decaf or not.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• I used to drink a small amount of coffee with lots of milk in it when I was about 8-10 yrs old..

Mine is 8 and she doesn't drink coffee.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• That's young, but like you said, it's decaf. Is she doing it to help them stay regular? BM's) I'd worry about the staining of their teeth too. What's next, white strips to remove the coffee stains?! My kids do not drink coffee. My oldest only started drinking it on weekends when he was in his early 20's. My 11 y/o will take sips of mine from time to time, but not her own cup.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2013