Strength training at home?

Is anyone able to get a good strength training workout at home with just a couple dumbbells and bodyweight exercises? My gym closed, and I'm on the fence about joining another.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Nov. 4, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I get bored with just the dumbbells but I recently came across TRX which uses your own bodyweight. I am trying to decide between that and the Pure Barre home kit.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:04 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Yup!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• You can get a good set of bands pretty cheaply, too, and those let you add things the dumbells don't. Between the two you can do a lot.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• I use mostly my resistance tube, bought at play it again sports and I can do both upper and/or lower body with it. Between YouTube and a couple magazines I have a workout I do that targets all the muscle groups on rotating days.

Answer by missanc at 5:57 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• Have you tried any Beachbody Programs? I am looking at participating in a 21-Day fitness challenge. I am getting married New Years Eve and looking to loose 10lbs. If you have I would like here your thoughts.

Debbie
    fizzlecrow

Answer by fizzlecrow at 4:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• I've lost over 100 lbs, and very little of that time was spent in a gym (only in the very beginning, and when I was seriously injured and couldn't run). I did DVDs at home, run, swim at the community pool, bike, hike, do strength training on my own at home, and am constantly trying different new things.
    Check out sparkpeople.com for some great exercise moves. Compound moves, where you're combining different muscle groups, give you the most bang for your caloric buck. For example, lunges with bicep curls, or squats with a tricep extension.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2013