Would you make your child wear a jacket if it was 63 degrees outside?

Today I sent my son to school in a short sleeve shirt, jeans, and a pullover hoodie for him to use just in case. I got a note home today saying that he refused to listen to three teachers who told him to put his jacket on at recess. He told them that he was hot and that is why he wasn't wearing his jacket. They wrote him up for not listening. WTF. I am seriously thinking that he can't win for losing. I mean, even I don't wear my jacket unless it is in the thirties. 

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 7:12 PM on Nov. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would be in there pretty far up their asses for that one!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• i'm with crafty, someone would be fuckin hating me at that school. i'm a FLORIDIAN and i dont even wear a jacket in 63 degree weather.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Some schools have a policy that if they are sent with a jacket, then they are to wear that jacket if they go outside for recess. (same with hats & gloves) Just send a note back that it should be up to him if feels he needs it or not & they can call you if they have a problem with it.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:32 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Nope. If they don't want it on they don't have to wear it. I'm pretty confident they can tell when they're cold and when they're not.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• No, I wouldn't.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• No, I would not. If I think they might need it (or a hat, etc.), I say so. And I orient them to their bodies & sensations. I back this up by leaving it (whether or not they wear a jacket or extra layer) to them!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:22 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Only if the wind was cold... KWIM? It can be kinda warm out but with a chilly wind. But other than that yeah, 63 is fine for no jacket when you consider how much running around they do.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• It is not about hot or cold. It is about him not doing what the teacher says to do. Did he inform them he was not cold, but hot? 63 is a little warm to wear a jacket to me to.
    Maybe you need to talk to the school.

Answer by louise2 at 7:25 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• No I wouldn't. We don't get many 63 degree afternoons though either.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:52 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• It is not about hot or cold. It is about him not doing what the teacher says to do. 

I could see this to a point, but my son is not a robot. I am raising him to be polite, yet a independent thinker. If he is hot, then he shouldn't have to wear a jacket just because an adult tells him too. If it is cold outside and he doesn't wear a jacket, then his consequence is that he is cold. However, it wasn't cold today. It would be different if this was the only thing that his teacher has nitpicked over, but it is not. She finds an excuse she can to complain about him.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Nov. 4, 2013