Spelling words...and on other question

My Daughter is in kindergarten (she is right at 6) and is reading at a 2nd grade level and is doing her 'reading group' alone with the teacher. She is also well above them in math but they are doing nothing to keep her challenged. We work on adding and subtraction, complex and 3d shapes at home. I have stopped working on her reading at home since they are actually doing that at school but I want to work with her handwriting and spelling.

I found a yearly spelling list off of a home school site for first grade. Over the last week or so I have had her sit with me and we did half of the list(me asking her writing) Out of 105 she missed 13. Is it better to work on them 5-6 at a time like they do at school or since this is just at home work, just work slowly on the whole list or one or two a day for a while.

Before anyone says I am pushing her to hard, I am not. When she ask to stop we stop. We don't do it everyday and she is an eager learner. She was mad at me the other day for not teaching her multiplication like her brother does. Today i gave her one page in a math book and she chose to do 3 instead. Actually I cut her off at 3 and made her go play. lol.

On a side note... is if odd that I have to make my child go play? Is it odd she is just as happy writing a story, reading or doing math as she is with her toys or outside, maybe more so?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Nov. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think her enthusiasm for learning is wonderful & should be encouraged. As long as you're not pushing her, like you said you aren't, then it's fine. My 11 y/o likes to write stories & draw pictures for fun. That's not all she does for fun, but it's one of them. I think compensating her school work is necessary since she's like a little learning sponge right now. You may want to see if they have a gifted program at her school. Maybe even consider moving her up a grade.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• It's not odd that she loves writing, reading, and math but you are wise to make sure she plays and is well rounded.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:31 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• They refused to move her up a grade. They tested her and said she was at a 2nd grade level but won't put her in 1st because they said she was not mature enough. I think because they are not a 'passing' school they want her to help their curve. I can't prove it though. SO I will just keep doing stuff with her at home. Maybe when we move her next school will be willing to move her up.

As far as the gifted program goes- it doesn't start until 2nd grade and even then it is just a 30 min a week pull out thing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Be very careful about moving a child up a grade. Eventually the age difference can be a problem especially in the teen years. A child I know had a very hard time with that during high school. There are a lot of outside things you could look into also, like programs at local museums, the library, etc. for enrichment. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:39 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• I am not worried about her maturity. She is The oldest in kindergarten. She turned 6 already. We just missed the cut off to start kindergarten last year. She is actually only 3 months younger than the youngest 1st grader at the school.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:41 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• There is more to the maturity thing that what you say here. Based on the facts you are presenting your school has no reason to hold her back.

My son is 10 and in 4th grade. He misses our cutoff by 6 weeks. Academically he should be in 5th or 6th grade. Socially/emotionally he should be in 3rd grade. Also, he's in our version of a gifted program. Those kids are already doing work at a grade above the non-gifted kids.

For now, it sounds like all you can do is what you're already doing.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:23 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Many kids I know in kindergarten are at her level. My friend's daughter, last in year in kindergarten, tested at an eighth grade level. Several others many grade levels ahead. In fact, several kids in my son's class were doing long division in kindergarten and multiplication. It was never pushed, it was just where they were at. But thankfully it was at a place that also supported play as a big part of learning. In fact, it is play, and the ability to do divergent thinking, rather than convergent thinking (the kind where computations and reading for answers leads you to one right answer) that is a big predictor of innovation and success. What they see now at his school is kids who test very well, are considered very intelligent, but have difficulty with thinking outside the box. Now they are equally trying divergent projects and bringing in nature oriented activities.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• "Play" is an attitude or orientation, and it's about loving what you do/doing what you love. It's about feeling personal meaning, engagement. My preschool-age twins (they are in kindergarten this year) spent large chunks of their free time loading firewood onto a cart & taking it to the woodpile, then stacking it. This was after we had wood delivered (dumped in the driveway) when they were 3 & 4 years old (haven't gotten this year's delivery yet.) They also love loading the cart in winter when it's time to bring firewood inside, and shoveling snow, raking leaves, etc. They learned how to pull up dandelions with the root (using a fishtail weeder) and they have spent long periods of time weeding dandelions out of our garden (hard work, in terms of effort.) It's about contributing but also personal mastery & competence. There's intrinsic meaning for them, joy, personal investment.
    Reading/writing/math can be play in the same way.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:42 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• I don't know what way is "better" in terms of learning words on a lengthy spelling list. I know at my daughter's school, the kids produce the vocabulary words based on their reading (they keep lists & write down words as they come up.) They come together as a group & hear from each other about the words on their individual lists. A teacher assembles a vocabulary list for all the kids from those words (I don't think it's every word from each kid's list but I haven't asked) and they spend some time talking about the words, their pronunciation & definition, their origins, linguistic connections & any cognates involved. They do a "pre-test" where each child writes down the word when the teacher says it, then they check their spelling. From this comes each kid's study list for the week (they take that time to get familiar with whatever words they missed, then "test" again the following Thursday.) Then they repeat the whole process.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2013