I'm going to try to breast feed for a year with this baby...any helpful tips/advice?

I breast fed my daughter for about 6 weeks but I had a hell of a time doing it. My supply never seemed to fully come in, she couldn't latch properly, she cried constantly and lost a lot of weight the first two weeks. I finally gave up when I was told that I had "bad nipples for breast feeding," they are small but yeah...that was kind of uncalled for and hurt my self esteem so I started giving my daughter formula.

This time around I'm 4 years older (I was young when I had my first), I'm a bit more knowledgable and I'm going to plan ahead more than I did the first time.

Any breast feeding mommas out there have any tips or words of wisdom for me? What are some things that you wish you'd known when you started off breast feeding? What are some breast feeding essentials that I will need?

collegexmamix28

Asked by collegexmamix28 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 4, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't give up, don't be tempted. accept no free samples, etc of formula. ask for help and have pillows galore. drink like a fish. and unless you'll be going to work/school don't keep any bottles around. donate/sell/return any you already have. google positions, be creative, try try try.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:26 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group here on CM. Lots of info to help you reach your goal.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2013

• Get support. Doctors are NOT lactation specialists. I wouldn't take advice from them.

I breastfed my first for 17 months and my second is still feeding she will be one this month.

Go to Gdiamantes breastfeeding group. My success is because of it. That and www.kellymom.com
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:09 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• The lactation specialists at the hospital where you deliver are angels. Let them help you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• When you deliver, ask for a lactation consultant if one doesn't come by. If you don't like the first one or she isn't helpful, ask again after shift change.
    And read, educate yourself about breastfeeding. Many moms mistake a stable supply of breast milk for not enough once they are no longer engorged.

Answer by missanc at 6:58 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• I was told that my nipples inverted when my milk came in and that's why I had such a hard time bf. But a lactation consultant gave me these 'shells' to wear in my bra that coerced my nipples out so that he could latch on properly. Maybe you need to visit with one and she/he could recommend the things to 'help' your nipples.
    WhyPiggy

Answer by WhyPiggy at 10:28 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• The best advice I have is to focus on your goal and do your best to not give up. I remember when I was pregnant, my mom told me "breastfeeding shouldn't hurt". Well my mom also had four children, the youngest being 10 when I had my son - so it had been awhile since she'd last breastfed! And she was WRONG! It hurt me, and I hated it for easily two months. But I knew breastfeeding would be best (not to mention cheapest) for my family and I was determined not to give up. It eventually got easier and I breastfed my son for 10 months. Next time I plan on a year. :)

Oh, I was also 19 when I had my son, so despite being young and obviously amateur, I powered through!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• go to formula
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 1, 2013

• good luck
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2013