Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I just got maried and change my name but I dont want it changed.

my question is can I changed it back and will it cost me? I haven't changed it on my ss or drivers license . how much and how long will it take to change it back?

Answer Question

Asked by miya85 at 12:12 AM on Nov. 5, 2013 in Military

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Yes, you can change it back and yes, they do charge you for it.

    Answer by KTElite at 12:14 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

  • If you have not filled out the paperwork for your IDs, then you won't have to make a change at all. HOWEVER, the IRS may give you trouble at tax time if you're filing jointly and still using your maiden name.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:36 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

  • On my marriage license I only changed my middle name, will this affect any paperwork in the military?

    Comment by miya85 (original poster) at 12:40 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

  • You can't change your middle name on your marriage license. You can USE your marriage license to change your last name, but that's it. As far as changing back, I'm not sure. If you've already gotten your new ID and Social Security card, it might be something you have to do with a legal name change through the court.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 6:50 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

  • why don't you want your married name?

    Answer by michaux at 9:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2013

  • Of course you can change your name. It's a very simple procedure, there is a small fee for it-- there are papers to sign at your local court house most likely, the Clerk and Recorder. You should be able to find more info by looking it up online; start with your county's name. There also I believe is a small fee because it has to be announced in the local newspaper for a few days, that's how it was in our state anyway. My spouse changed his middle name, my father changed his legal name, and I never took my husband's last name (kept my own maiden name... after all, it is my name!) and there's nothing wrong with that. Then yes, you will have to go through a relatively simple procedure to change your military IDs. If it's all on the up and up, just make a few calls and see what it takes.

    Answer by mosleyjackson at 11:48 AM on Dec. 11, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.