Moms of autistic kids. Does your kid stim?

If so,how do they do it?
My son will flap and bounce on his toes when he's excited. It's so cute! He gets so happy.
He will also hum when he's upset.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:49 AM on Nov. 5, 2013 in Special Needs

• From my oldest I get arm circles when he's excited and rocking. My second one is a vocal stimmer. The baby does occasional head banging.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:56 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• jumps up and down in place when excited
    goes in circles when frustrated or has to wait
    hands hands in weird position - kind of like a T Tex, especially when walking when in overstim situation or environment
    makes odd noises
    crawls on floor and meows like cat (when situation is too much, too mush social asked of her)
    sometimes hits herself in the head (not hard anymore) still tell her to stop that one
    hums rhythmically
    rocks back and forth, might do this while standing on inside of feet

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• hands hands in weird position - kind of like a T Tex
    holds her hands in weird position - kind of like a T Rex

i need more coffee.lol
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• Yep. He bounces, almost so fast he looks like he is vibrating. He will also chew on his fingers. We always have a chew toy available, but sometimes the fingers end up in the mouth. He will flap and hit himself in the head with his fists.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• Ds hops and claps when happy. The clapping just started in the last couple of years to replace flapping though at times he will still flap.
    When anxious he chews his clothes on hands and sometimes his tongue or lips. He hold his hands in an odd position and kind of shakes them. I don't know how to describe it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• my teenager vocal stims mostly now....sometimes it really bothers her teachers and classmates.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 6:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2013