Scared..

I have 3 kids n pregnant with my 4th anyways. My kids are 7,5 n 3 years old. My oldest for a few years now is dead scared to sleep alone or n in the dark..we keep a hall way light on for her which lights up her whole room. I've say with her explained that there is nothing to be afraid of..hubby has even say in her room till she falls asleep. I have her walk around the house with me I open doors n look under her bed so she sees that there's nothing there. But nothing seems to work. She comes into my room at least 2-3 times each night crying saying she's scared we get up n tuck her back in. we do not allow them to watch any scary movies..but when they go over to their cousins house they come home talking about some scary thing they told them about. :-( she is the only one who is scared my two younger kids are just fine. If someone knows anything we can try to help her please let me know.

mommyof3_21

Asked by mommyof3_21 at 9:39 AM on Nov. 5, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest 5 almost 6 has the same issue.. The 1st thing i did was STOP letting her go to her cousins! I put a stop to the whole scary movie train from there.. At first it's hard but it's paid off! The second thing I did is I dished out some tough love! I told my daughter I am right her in the next room you have absolutely nothing to worry about! I will not allow anything to hurt you or any of that!! Also maybe take her to get checked out for anxiety? Just a suggestion bc my daughter has a high anxiety level which I think contributes to her night time problems! Another suggestion is to give her a batt or something to feel like she can defend her self?
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• When my dd was scared of the dark and "ghosts", we gave her "ghost spray". We put water in a spray bottle, scented it with some vanilla and told her it would keep the ghosts away. She kept it by her bed and could spray it whenever she wanted to. Cool nightlights could also help (dream lights cut off after 10 mins) or a flashlight to keep on her nightstand.

Answer by missanc at 9:54 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• we went through this also...we went out & bought a plug in night light & then we also purchased a dream lite & she feels comfortable with the dream lite on & I love that it turns off by itself...hope things get better for you all!
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• We let ds pick out one of those light globes that shine pictures on the walls and ceilings. We also would 'slam the door' on anything bad in his head before he went to bed so that the bad things were 'locked' out of his head. Seemed to work. =)

WhyPiggy

Answer by WhyPiggy at 10:18 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• My kids were 3-5 when they went through this phase. Get her a spray bottle, fill it with some water and a little glitter and tell her it's Monster Spray. Another thing you can do is get a string of Christmas lights (LED last longer) and string them along the corner of her ceiling/wall. Both of my kids have a short string, it goes up their wall from the outlet, and along the equivalent of one wall. They're not horribly bright, but they do illuminate the room enough that my kids can see at night.

Another thought is to get the Berenstain Bears book "In the Dark". Brother reads Sister a scary mystery, and she develops a fear of the dark. With Papa's help, and an old night light, Sister gets over her fear.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:34 AM on Nov. 5, 2013

• My daughter went through this, and I got her a Flashlight Friend. It's pink unicorn with an LED flashlight built in, but there are other animals as well, and they don't get hot. I ordered it online for about $20. It did the trick, and she sleeps with it every night.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2013