Talking

My son was saying dadadadada today like six "da"s all in a row just once and when i talked back to him and tried to make him say it again, he just sat there and looked at me like i was crazy! lol should i encourage him or should i just let him talk on his own?

CassCass

Asked by CassCass at 4:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've been doing this with my 8.5 month old son. He says dada all the time and I'm almost positive that he knows what it means ... but when I say mama to him and try to get him to repeat me, he won't do it! So frustrating :)

I think they are very interested that we are repeating them and they just stare and watch us. I would encourage him, it sounds like it's a fun game! One day, he'll get it :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my mom does early intervention and she says talking back to or mimicking them is a good thing to do! How exciting!!
    hilary1122

Answer by hilary1122 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Encourage him. Sing silly songs with easy words in it. I use to say Da-Da, Da-Da-Da to my son constantly and in about a week we couldn't get him to stop saying it. Then I did the same with ma-ma, and nonna (his grandmothers name). He picked up on everything. Now he is starting to say stuff on his own without our help as much. Definately work with your little one though. Remember the saying monkey see, monkey do. It's very true with babies, they learn by copying you!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 4:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009