Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


so heres my issue. im trying to get put on mirena and i was gonna have it done on base. well they cant because we dont have enough drs here and they cant do it right now. well they were gonna send me to a womens clinic off base but the clinic says that if it doesnt say "for mirena" on the referral then they wont do it because it cost so much to do it and they want to make sure there wont be an issue with payment. i talked to the nurse and had her send another referral to tricare but the one i just got in the mail says for gynocology and not specifically for mirena. this is the 2nd referral by the way. anyway-who do i talk to about this? i have a drs appointment for march 11 but thats the soonest i can get in. is there a number i can call and get this straightened out? sorry but im new to the military life. lol and im sooo frustrated. thanks mommas

Answer Question

Asked by SThompson21 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You should have a tricare office on your base/post. Go their. Talk to them. They will help you.

    Answer by louise2 at 4:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • I agree. There should be an office there. Much easier than dealing with talking to people over the phone.

    Answer by babycakes254 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • i would go to the tricare on ur base and talk to them.... just like babycakes says, much easier to talk face to face rather then on the phone

    Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • check to see if the clinic will allow you to bring in the meds from base & just be inserted at the clinic. The problem maybe that you are requesting for "brand name" when a generic is available & that creates an issue for the clinic at the time of billing. Otherwise go back to your base gyn and be sure that when they write their report to Tricare that the Mirena is used specifically and no other alternative be acceptable.
    I have had to use this route in other areas to get Tricare to cover certain things for my son.

    Answer by danielle808 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • Deal directly with TriCare for a more specified referral after they speak with your PCM or they can send a letter directly to the clinic regarding the services they cover.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.