Renting a car

We have never rented a car before, but I will be doing it in ordr to go visit my husband in Utah in a couple weeks.

I have Enterprise pulled up- but should I be aware of any extra costs for insurance or anything else that I should know?

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 1:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2013 in Travel

• Most car insurance companies already cover rental insurance.. call your insurance company and ask!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• If you already have insurance, don't get theirs. Also, opt to fill up your gas tank before returning. They charge a bundle to do it for you.

I've usually booked cars for business travel online with no problem.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:42 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• We always use Enterprise ONLY. There are a ton of ways to get discounts too. Hidden fees? Not that I have encountered.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:26 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• so do you just do it throught the website? Or do you call and do it by phone?

charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• We go there directly. I've never done it via the website. I've found deals via the internet and will tell them when I get there. Usually Enterprise is very good about upgrading you for no additional charge.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• It's not far from me, so maybe I will just go there and do it in person tomorrow then
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• Call your credit card to see if they cover the CDL (collision damage waver). Otherwise, see that it's unlimited miles, and check the daily rate vs. weekly. There shouldn't be a drop fee if you're returning it to the same place.

I work for a travel agency and we use Thrifty because of our corp card but use whichever has a good rate of the names you know. Don't use any obscure brand.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• There are always extra costs. I would call and ask them to go over all the costs so you are prepared.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:55 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• Be sure to have minimum $200 available credit on your credit card in addition to the fees for renting because they put a hold on it. All car places do it. Some put a larger hold. I know Avis and Hertz do $200. If you use a debit card, they might do a credit check first.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2013