Mixing traditions (pagan)

How do you feel about mixing traditions?
I know a lot of pagans now take from different paths and traditions what they like and mix pantheons, etc. but I also know there are a lot of purists out there.

I am of Scandinavian and Irish descent and I feel very drawn to the traditional religions of my ancestors but it seems wrong to combine the two.
What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Nov. 5, 2013 in Religious Debate

• You have a right to do what you want enjoy how you feel.
    Dont be affraid to love both sides of your heratage.
    I am black on my Dad's Side and Native American on My Moms.
    But you would not konw it by looking at me.
    Hope this helps.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• I think if you stay true to your heart, you're fine...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• I have no thoughts on this for obvious reasons. But it is a good question and I am looking forward to reading the answers.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:13 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• I personally find it silly. Fortunately, you don't need mine or anyone else's permission to practice. That said, you are talking about mixing two pantheons that are pretty closely related to begin with. Are you really drawn to both pantheons, or do you feel an attachment to the ancestors and feel an obligation to include both of their beliefs out of loyalty to them?

The "purist" bit you speak of isn't simply a convention. Among Heathenry it's believed you are either drawn to it, or you're not. A lot of people are offended by eclecticism, because rarely does it happen without the more inconvenient parts of Heathenry being completely rewritten to mesh with the other faith(s) involved. Heathenry, almost completely down the line, is the polar opposite of most pagan religions. It's why so many of us prefer not to be identified as pagan.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:19 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• It is my opinion that when you finally find the path you are meant to be on, everything will click. For instance, I do not follow any religion but I do believe in an ultimate creator of life, the universe and everything. I lean more towards Celtic things (my Scots-Irish heritage) and Buddhism (I like the basic philosophy ... not the Hollywooded up version) but neither has clicked for me yet so I am learning what I can about each of those and others until the path reveals itself.

Good luck on finding yours even if it is a blended style.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:49 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• I'm one of those wretched Eclectics NP (iloveyou) was talking about who attends both Sumbols and Circles. *I* see nothing wrong with it.

Of course I'm also a Quadruple Gemini with a bad case of ADOS (Attention Deficit...Ooo, Shiny!!!)

Go with what feels "right" to you! Do you meditate?

Remember, the god/dess(s) choose you...not the other way around. How else would this little Bohunk from Nebraska end up in the service of the Hawaiian Volcano Goddess Pele?!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• *I* see nothing wrong with it.

You are also mindful of it, but that whole choosing thing is one of the big sticking points. It's not normal for Heathens to be dedicated to a patron. Some do, but it's rare, others pretend because they come from Wicca and think it's expected until they're told otherwise. And that's the kind of thing I'm getting at wrt changing the rules.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Thank you everyone for your opinions I am finding them helpful.

NotPanicking, I feel a connection to the Norse pantheon and ancestors but more of a cultural connection to my irish roots since I was raised respecting that the most but not in a way to do with religion.

MamaK88 I don't really meditate.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• NotPanicking, I feel a connection to the Norse pantheon and ancestors but more of a cultural connection to my irish roots since I was raised respecting that the most but not in a way to do with religion.

I would suggest you do a little research into Theodism - the Anglo Saxon variation of Heathenry. It might bridge the two for you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2013