Did you find out the sex of your baby/babies and why?

We have our 20 week scan next week, this is our second child, and we will be finding out if we need to buy pink or blue, as we did with our first.
My family can't see why we'd want to find out, and believe we should keep it as a surprise.
For me and DH however, we physically don't think we could say 'no don't tell us!' It would drive me mad having the option and saying 'no!'
Obviously if baby has their legs crossed or something and there is no way of seeing, this would be fine with me, but if the option is there I'd just have to know!

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 5:12 PM on Nov. 5, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I'm impatient & had to know. With my first, I found out, my 2nd wasn't as cooperative, but since I carried him the same as his bro, I just knew I was having another boy. With my last, my baby girl, I about did cartwheels out of the room when they told me it was a girl :) Whoever doesn't want to know can just leave the room when it's being discussed. If you want to know, then that's your right. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• I found out because I am a planner & need to know everything ASAP. :)
    With my 2nd I knew at 10 weeks because I did a genetic test (CVS).
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:15 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• I found out because I knew the majority of my baby gifts/shower gifts would be clothes, simply so they could be easily transported or sent in the mail. I wanted the kid to have a chance at wearing something besides yellow and green.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• Yes, because I'm a "planner". I wanted everything picked out & put together prior to birth.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• Yeah...

You're going to be surprised either way.. I figured sooner is better than later. Anticipation kills me.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• No. They did all the scans an I told them I did not want them to tell me.
    It was driving my Dr. crazy when I started before the scans even, calling my first born William Michael. In the last month he asked what are you going to do when you deliver a healthy baby girl. Without missing a beat I told him that he would be called Wilhemina Michaelina.
    His jaw dropped and said then we better hope for a boy. I refused every time. Same happened with my daughter..

I am a person who will be happy with whatever healthy ad alive child I get. I never needed to know because I already did.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• im a super planner so i wanted to know so i could get everything ready, especially with the first one. with the second i wanted to know so i knew whither to buy new boy stuff or focus on other things since we already had girl clothes. plus, i wanted to know if we had to eventually have a third or not (we woulda had a third if #2 had been a girl). seeing as i had planned out the nursery scheme/colors long before they were conceived i needed to know which to do haha.

my mom wanted us to find out so bad b/c she never had the option...they only would do ultrasounds if something was wrong so she never got to see us pre-birth.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:06 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• We found out with our first. With our second, we didn't want to until the 20 week ultrasound got closer, then I really wanted to and talked DH into it. Despite wanting to find out, we weren't able to because DS kept his foot over his junk and wouldn't budge no matter what we tried, so we wound up having to wait til the birth after all.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• We waited both times imo makes the pain of pregnancy/childbirth worth it but that's just me. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• Nope. It was a Catholic hospital and they didn't allow that.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:52 PM on Nov. 5, 2013