May be a stupid question: If you have a c-section when does milk come?

So when you have a c-section, how does your body know that your milk needs to come in? My baby is breech at 37 wks. and there is a chance I will have to have one. I never thought about this until my husband asked. Also, if you're induced, how does your body know to start producing milk? Just wondering. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It seems to vary a bit per woman.
    Mine came in about 4 days after the section.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Mine came in about 4-5 days after my section. Your body is smarter than you give it credit for. Your milk will come, don't worry.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 5:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Mine was around the 3rd or 4th day. Don't worry, your body will know. Even though it wasn't a natural labor, the baby is no longer in the womb, so the body kicks into gear!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 5:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Hello, Just start nursing and the milk will come, Do you know If you adopt a baby you can breast feed them just by nursing , You kind of force the milk to come, Remember in the old days the rich people had wet nurses? They were people who nursed other peoples children, They did the same thing they just forced the milk to come by thinking about It, seems strange but Ive heard stranger,
    Amber
    Amberlynn2001

Answer by Amberlynn2001 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I had a c sec 2 weeks ago today. my milk came in 4 days after.. Trust me you will know lol! I woke up and my boobs were HUGE!!!!!!
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 5:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• oh also w a breech baby.. if you have any questions feel free to ask
    tawnbond

• Same time as a regular birth. Make sure you have lots of time with the baby, nursing and suckling and no supplementing.
    Anonymous

• I was leaking a little during pregnancy but my milk really didn't come in until the 4th day after my c-section. although, you still have the colostrum which is enough "food" for your newborn. i did not supplement with formula.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• The placenta being removed from the body is the signal for the body to begin producing IIRC. I know somw ladies who have had a retained placenta who haven't had their milk come in. For me it varied. 5 days with my first, 6 with my second, and 3 with my third.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My milk came after about 3 days. With my 2nd child, who was born VBAC, my milk came in around the same time. No difference.

Your body is an amazing thing, and regardless of HOW you give birth, your milk will come. :)
    Anonymous