Females who smoke during pregnancy . What's the risk on unborn? Chances of a healthy baby

LexyCinnimon

Asked by LexyCinnimon at 9:48 PM on Nov. 5, 2013 in Pregnancy

• prematurity & low birth weight among other issues (breathing issues mainly)

im not proud of this at all but i smoked during my last two pregnancies. one of them came out at 10 lbs and the other at 8 lbs. neither had complications and still don't at ages almost 4 and almost 5.

i still don't condone it though, and if i could go back to 2008 & 2009 i'd smack the fuck out of myself. the baby doesn't get a choice and it's so unfair to put them through that, it's not worth the potential risk at all.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• When I was pregnant with my second son a friend of mine was also pregnant. She smoked heavily and had a son with a cleft lip and pallet. The doctor told her it was most likely caused by smoking. Smoking is a high risk factor in cleft lip and pallet babies.  Her baby had to have many surgeries starting at age 9 months, and continuing for years as he grew and his mouth and gum line had to be changed.

Many smokers have healthy babies, but there are already so many risk factors out there, I can't imagine adding to my baby's risks.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• Potential issues with brain development, especially to the prefrontal cortex. This can cause behavioral issues. Low birth weight, asthma, breathing issues, low auto-immune systems and tons of other really bad shit.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• The risk of miscarriage is also much higher for mothers-to-be who smoke during pregnancy. I don't smoke, but I was warned about even getting near secondhand smoke because I was at high risk for recurrent miscarriage.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:57 PM on Nov. 5, 2013

• My mom smoked and drank during her 7 pregnancies. She had 3 miscarriages, and the 4 she did have were small. I was 5 lbs at birth, my sister was 4 lbs. All four of us have learning disabilities.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• My steobrother's mom smoked. He was a dangerously low birthweight baby and has/had severe eye problems that could have resulted in blindness, thankfully it didn't. Caused by her smoking.

Answer by missanc at 6:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• You can google it . They print this information right on the pack of cigs.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:34 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• 2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• my mom smoked
    My sister and I were both overdue. She was 4 lbs 3 oz,and I was 5 lbs 1 oz.
    I have digestive and lung issues,and my sister is mildly retarded
    Any questions?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• They will go through nicotine withdrawls. I wouldn't want to see my baby go through that..... Might want to invest in some nicotine patches so you can slap one on the baby when he/she is born....

If you don't know the risks of smoking when pregnant, then you must live under a rock, and shouldn't be having a baby in the first place.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2013