My 6 year old keeps having accidents...help! adult content

He's had that problem since we first started potty training. He wets the bed almost every night, even though he stops getting drinks 2 hours before bedtime. And he constantly wets his pants during the day, even though I constantly remind him to go potty. He even has accidents at school, so I have to keep spare clothing in the nurses office. The nurse called today to say he had an accident.

Tonight he pooped in his pants! Which he's only ever done once before, when we first started potty training. He had just gotten on the computer for his allotted 30 minutes, when I saw him go into the bathroom. After a few minutes he came out and went back on the computer. Then less than one minute later, he ran back in the bathroom. A few seconds after that told me he pooped in his pants. He wouldn't tell what happened. I don't know if he didn't make to the toilet in time or if he just sat there and pooped because he didn't want to go. It did look like diarrhea though.

I don't know why he's having this problem. And I don't know what to do about it. Any advice?

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 12:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• Wetting at night can go on for years and is perfectly normal. Use pullups or night time diapers for that. He will grow out of that, but I know kids who have been 8 or 10 before they are dry at night.

The other problem needs a doctor's opinion. He may have a medical issue. Get him an appointment as soon as you can. and get a second opinion if you are brushed off. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• How often does he have a bowel movement? Does he hold it in until the last minute? He may wet the bed at night because his bowels are full & there simply is less room for urine. If not then maybe there is something emotional going on with him or the family? Is he afraid of something (the bathroom) at school? What does his diet consist of? These are the things I'd be thinking about. Hope I helped.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Accidents are normal at this age. If you are really concerned, consult his doctor to make sure there isn't anything physical causing the problem. Sometimes a narrowed urethra can cause wetting accidents because the bladder is not getting completely emptied. That happened to my daughter and took surgery to correct. Diarrhea can hit any of us at any time. I've known adults who couldn't make it to the bathroom on time. It happens.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• have you taken him to the doctor or talked to them about it?

*as for wetting the bed...my son did it until he was about 13/14 (though as he got older it was maybe once ot twice a year)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Wetting the bed is normal at this age. Get a good mattress pad to protect the mattress and several sets of sheets. Don't shame him about it, but be matter of fact that it's his accident, and he can help clean it up. My son, even at that age, was supposed to strip the sheets and take them to the laundry room and tell me about it. That was all. It wasn't a punishment - it was taking care of his own mess. He didn't get in trouble unless he didn't take care of the mess.

Talk to the school. Many schools allow only one toilet break in the morning and one in the afternoon. I had to talk with the teacher (each year) to allow my son more frequent toilet breaks so that he wouldn't have an accident at school. You want to try to nip this quickly because kids will notice, and you don't want him labeled for this by the children. A nickname along this line could follow him into middle school.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Bed wetting isn't uncommon, you can get him a pull up to wear at night, and as for this one incident, not to be graphic, but have you never "sharted"? I think the less you focus on the accidents, and the more you praise him the better.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2013