How to get my son to do writing assignments in school??

We just had parent/teacher conferences, and my son's teacher said he was doing very well with everything except writing. He HATES writing. She said he would only do his work if she was sitting next to him, otherwise he would just sit there, and tell her he didn't know what to write about, or just scribble on the page. I noticed this at home too, he will do his homework if im sitting with him, but if I walk away all of a sudden he doesn't know what to do. How can I fix this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is the problem with the physical act of writing, or the idea of having to think of what to write? My son had problems with writing but for him it was related to the motor control issues that go with his Asperger's Syndrome. Keyboarding works better for him.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Consequences, just like anything else, and stick to them. If he doesn't do the work, he doesn't get tv/computer/etc. As long as he knows you'll babysit him, he'll keep not working.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Keep sitting with him until he is confident enough to complete the work himself. Praise him for a job well done & explain that you want to be proud of him & not disappointed.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:09 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• My DS hates writing as well. He is fortunate for the time being since he broke his thumb on his writing hand and has to wear a splint. Once that's healed, he will go back to having to write in a journal for 15 minutes a day. I don't care what he writes about (could be legos, or his dream from last night, or the shape of the clouds in the sky for all I care). He still doesn't like it, but I think his stems from the fact that when he started school they had them using D'Nealian method of printing and then changed it since the kids all hated the way their writing looked.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:29 AM on Nov. 6, 2013