My friend recently passed of a heroin overdose. Lately, she has been appearing in my dreams. In this dream I sit next to her as she injects her last dying needle with a smile on her face.

She tells me its all ok, and when I try to help her I can not move. I yell but no sound comes out, I try to move to get the needle from her but I am paralyzed. Why do I keep reliving her death? I was not even there. Deep down, it seems to me....as if she wanted to go...like she didn't want me to help her=\ This dream is reoccurring and has been killing me emotionally. Any ideas?

Stephany H.

Asked by Stephany H. at 4:05 AM on Nov. 6, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• Maybe feel your grief & regrets (the feelings of powerlessness, wishing you could have done something) and your anger. If the dream is persistent then maybe you really need to feel how bad you actually feel about what happened. It's okay if your self-blame doesn't make sense or isn't appropriate to the situation (as in, it wasn't really your responsibility, there was nothing you could have done, you can't control someone else, etc.) You can still feel the extent to which you FEEL responsible, or feel self-blame. Feel that & grieve it. You may find that bringing some resolution (rather than avoiding the stuff that feels too negative or "wrong") will help to resolve the issue of the recurring dream, or the preoccupation that is intruding into your sleep.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• You are feeling guilt because you feel responsible in a way for her death. You saw what she was doing and did not stop her & make her get help. Maybe she would not have accepted the help but you are wishing you had tried. Now you can only help yourself. Remove yourself from that environment or drugs. Do not participate & better yourself.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• She is letting you know that she is ok now. You don't need to have any regret or worry. There's nothing you could have done to prevent it. There's nothing left to be said. She's on the other side and she is free from all her demons. Whatever you needed or wanted to tell her she knows. It's not uncommon for spirits to visit our dreams. She just wants you to know she is fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• It's a difficult one, maybe it's her way of telling you that there was nothing you could have done differently, it was completely out of your hands and weather you'd been there or not, or said the right or wrong thing, it would have happened anyway. That's what it sounds like to me anyway, the way you describe yourself as being paralysed and unable to make a sound is probably because you felt helpless that you had no control over it.
    Such an awful way to lose a friend, sending love your way.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 9:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• I had a very good friend/room mate who died they same way. That was 15 yrs ago and he appears in my dreams all the time, It's a way your subconscious is trying to deal with the grief you will always feel to some degree. Just remember you are alive and just keep doing that.....live. Eventually you make room in your heart.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 12:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Honestly it could be one of two things. Your subconcious could be trying to cope and find a way to say goodbye since you never got the chance. our dreams can be strange and confusing to us but it is our subconcious way of working things out in our mind. Or it could be that you are so hurt and lost in how to deal with the pain you keep dreaming of it since that is what is on your mind often. I have dreams of my father who died of cancer, exccept in my dreams i see him sick and suffering then he gets better and lives and I am with him. When I wake up the first thing I think of was oh, no he's still dead. I dont know why but its terrible.
    WarriorQueen

Answer by WarriorQueen at 1:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Thank You all very much. This has helped me quite some bit. and "Anonymous 9-hours ago" I had no idea what she had been doing. I have 3 boys, I do not associate with those kind of ppl nor put myself in that kind of environment. Thank you for the concern though.
    Stephany H.

Comment by Stephany H. (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2013