car seats on the plane?

i am going to be flying alone with my two toddlers, i was wondering if its mandatory to bring the car seat on board? i know it will be hectic hauling around two kids and their seats, but i must also consider the price for checked baggage and i'm going to need the seats once we arrive at our destination...HELP ;)

samiyah2

Asked by samiyah2 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Travel

• We fly Delta with our toddlers all the time... our carseats counted as "special luggage" and are the same as wheelchairs and such.. no charge for those. The stroller we take right up to the door of the plane, leave it there, and then when we got off the plane its waiting for us. The carseats are usually waiting at baggage claim before the luggage even gets there.. my only advice is to buy big clear plastic garbage bags to wrap around them, to keep them from getting dirty at all or getting rained on.. and write your name and number on the actual carseats using tape or a sharpie.

We've done this at least 5 times and have never had a problem.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 11:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I checked my daughter's carseat last time we flew, it went under the plane with the rest of my luggage, I also had it in a carseat carrier bag which I think you are supposed to have it in.
    Anonymous

• I WORK FOR AMERICAN AIRLINES AND YES MAM YOU CAN BRING THE CARSEAT ON THE PLANE W/O A CHARGE, HOWEVER I HAVE A 2 1/2 YR OLD AND IT SEEMS TO BE A LOT EASIER IF YOU CHECK IN THE CARSEAT AND IF YOU PLAN ON BRINGING A STROLLER GATE CHECK THAT ITS ALSO FREE OF CHARGE AND THEN WHEN YOU GET OFF YOU HAVE YOUR STROLLER. ANY OTHER QUESTIONS JUST ASK.
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I recommend checking the car seats, and there should be no charge. check with your particular airline though.

If you can buy or rent a CARES I would recommend it. They weigh a pound each and keep young children a little more secure than a standard lap belt. http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 8:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i know when it comes to child saftey products such as carseats, carriers strollers, they are free, they dont count as luggage..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I have flown a total of ten times with my daughter from the age of 6 weeks to two years. I highly recommend having the carseat on the plane! If your children are over the age of two you have to purchase them a seat anyway. I have always flown alone and know how much of a hassle it is. Nothing is worse than when your child wants to get down because they are tired of sitting on mommy's lap. My daughter is an awesome flyer but kids are kids and they get bored easily, no matter what toys you bring. I think for my daughter when she is in her car seat she just figures it is another car ride and she just looks around or falls asleep (even better).
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 9:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2009