How would your kids react?

Kids React Nov 3 edition

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:10 AM on Nov. 6, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• They would be grossed out by the kissing (they are grossed out by straight people kissing too). Otherwise, they wouldn't care. We've talked about SSM. It's not an issue with my kids.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• My 3 year old has said in the past that boys marry girls and boys don't wear earrings or dresses. I'm not really sure where she gets this idea from but I always correct her age appropriately and say that yes, sometimes boys marry boys, girls marry girls, and boys wear earrings too.

I'd like to think that my 4 & 7 year olds would be pro equality if asked. The issue with the two of them has never been brought up.

Am I the only one who gets a little teary eyed when watching this video? I just think what these kids are saying is so beautiful and it gives me hope that the next generation will be so much more tolerant.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• my kids are both for it. I mean my son doesn't say much on the subject really, but I know he's fine with it
    My daughter is very vocal about these things (and has been since she was probably 11 or 12)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Mine has always been pretty matter of fact about it. He has an older cousin who is out, so I've always addressed it to him in those terms, this rule/law/organization/whatever doesn't think your cousin should be allowed to do whatever. He finds it stupid.

I did like the comment from one of the twins - what would you say to people who are anti-gay? Get a hobby.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• I don't know, I'd have to show them the video.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:01 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• From the way the video sounds, there's some hope that the future generation, or at least some of it, will be more tolerant than the generations of the past. My stepson doesn't like to see anybody, of any sex, kissing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:17 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• I think I will show those 2 videos to my7r old and see what he says. I have Always told him that people can love or marry whomever they want if its bog/girl, boy/boy, girl/girl and that there isn't anything wrong with it. But my dad is very against it, so it would be interesting to see if he agrees with Mom or Grandpa.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:43 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Also the little girl who said "If you married a boy then you would always have to do boy things. if you went to a fancy restaurant the boy would be burping" just cracked me up.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• my DD would probably responded in a similar way to the youngest girl. she would be confused about 2 men or women getting married b/c she's never seen it. every married couple she knows are male/female. when she's talked about who she wants to marry (she's already boy crazy at 5!) she's only mentioned boys. i asked her once if she'd like to marry a female friend and her response was "can girls marry girls?" "in some states, yes" "oh...sure then". she sees nothing wrong with it b/c in her mind marriage is about companionship & family, not sex (which is the hung up most anti-SSM have).

sadly, i cant help but wonder how this video would look if the kids had come from Oklahoma instead of California...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:51 AM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Well my LO (8) saw two men kissing and thought they were brothers, when I told her they were partners like me and dad she thought it was weird. I told her you love who you love and that doesn't make it wired. That was the end of that conversation and she's never brought it up. I thought it was so sad that the little boy knew being gay was bad, my kids wouldn't even know to call them gay. Then again they really haven't been around same sex couples. My dhs sister is a lesbian but she's never been affectionate around my girls, and doesn't come around often enough to where they would understand she has girlfriends. Now I'm curious how they would respond.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 11:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2013