my son is 14. he thinks he knows it all. and sometimes walks around with a chip on his shoulder.

he tells us we don't know how to have fun. we have to tell him over and over to do his chores. i dont know what to do or say anymore. please help

momoftwo2014

Asked by momoftwo2014 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Welcome to adolescence!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Ask him to do them, give him a time fram to do them in. THANK him when he does.
    reminders if he forgets- consequences if he gets attitude

as for fun, what kinds of things does HE want to do?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• so he acts like a normal 14 year old boy? what a shame.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Welcome to having a typical teenager. Isn't life fun?
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:55 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Seems like a normal teen to me....there is nothing to do, what you cannot accept is disrespect everything else comes with the territory.....

Answer by older at 12:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Keep the boundaries and expectations but allow him some fun times as rewards for good behavior, and as acknowledgement that he's maturing and can be given extra privileges .... But he has to prove his maturity by doing what is asked of him. It's a two way street
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• I remember what I was like at 14 and I am terrified for my kids to hit that age.

I would read some parenting books or take a class if you are stumped. Gotta get in their heads a little bit. Good luck!!!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:22 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Two books that probably would be very helpful are "How To Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk" by Faber & Mazlish, and Thomas Gordon's book "Parent Effectiveness Training" (P.E.T.)

Both books describe patterns of communication that tend to encourage the outcome you desire & patterns that tend to undermine what you're hoping for. The books address things like responding to the attitudes that upset you, replying to comments that upset or trigger you, and communicating around conflict areas like chores or homework.

Both books point out the negative dynamics & unintended results of habitual ways of communicating and they highlight what happens when we respond to kids in predictable & understandable, but not very constructive, ways.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2013