I see alot of these "Should I call CPS" posts here,so I just want to give you a PSA

If you think you should,DO IT
I was being sexually abused as a teen. My whole family knew it,and turned a blind eye because they didn't want to upset my mom.
Luckily my abuse didn't come to actually being raped,but it ALMOST did.
I had hidden a knife in my room to protect myself from my stepfather (which my mom removed daily). I had a plan to mortally wound or kill him if he raped me (and sadly,a plan to kill myself afterwards)
Imagine how you'll feel if you find out the kid was beaten, raped,OD's,or is killed,and you decided to ignore it for fear of upsetting the parent

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Amen!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Like my mother always said... It's better to be safe than sorry!

Come to think of it, this phrase must not be well known these days with all the dumb ass stuff posted here....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• Butterfly- how horrible that you had to endure such pain. No child should ever go thru something like that. I agree with m-avi, that it's better to err on the side of caution. If it turns out to be nothing, then CPS will close the case.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

• I've often pondered the "what if" scenarios
    imagine the authorities investigation his death,or mine,and asking my family how they didn't notice what was going on,why they didn't report what they saw
    I was abused,in increasing severity,for almost 5 years
    They saw it,but didn't want to call CPS because my mom would be upset with them
    And if anyone is wondering,I did report it to my school counselor. My mom scurried over there and told them I was making up stories because i was upset by she and my dad divorcing....14 years prior
    my report to the police was ignored because he didn't actually rape me (yet) so it wasn't sexual assault and was a matter for Social Services (but they didn't report it) I think my mom ran interference there too.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2013