Non-Stress Test?

I'm 31 weeks prego with twins and starting tomorrow I have to get 2 non-stress tests a week along with 2 ultra sounds. May as well pack a bag and live there huh? ;) But my question is, what are the non-stress tests exactly? And does everyone get 2 a week when they are this far along? I had never heard of them before today..? Let me know, Thanks! :)

twinmommy2009

Asked by twinmommy2009 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a point where the baby wasn't moving as much and the dr sent me to get one. You just lay there, they put the bands around your stomach and monitor the movement of the baby and see if you are having contractions. I think it took around a hour or two when I went. That was the only time though I had to get one done when I was pregnant.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 5:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i didnt know but i found this i hope it helps

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/prenataltesting/non-stresstest.html
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• They do them twice a week when you have a high risk pregnancy, for example if you have gestational diabetes or multiples. Like LadyKiki said its to see if the baby's heart rate is normal and if your contracting.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• NST's can be given for different reasons. I had them twice a week with my older dd because I had too much amniotic fluid. All it is is you lying there for about 30 min with a monitor for fetal heart rate, and one for contractions. You will also be given a little button to push everytime the baby moves. When you are there twice a week, you really get to know the staff well.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 5:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have one once a week since I was 30 weeks. They monitor the baby's heart rate and if you are having any contractions. They also give you this button to push every time you feel the baby move. It's not painful or anything all they do is strap monitors to your stomach and record what data they put out.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 5:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2009