Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How does getting an recovering drug addict help for Bi-polar and schitzophrina work?

My mother-in-law is a recover drug addict who has never been seen. I am pretty sure that she is bi-polar and schizophrenic. My birthmother is schizophrenic and so is my sister-in-laws mom along with my little adopted brother is schizophrenic too. I also have friends and siblings who are bi-polar and I am pregnant. She has been abusive to my husband his whole life and is living in my house with my father-in-law and two brother-in-laws. One being 6 years old. We have custody of my 6 year old brother-in-law and we and my father-in-law have kicked her out a few days ago. I am months pregnant and she doesn't know because my Husband, me and my father-in-law fear for the baby's life because of her. she stresses me out to the point that I bleed under stress. She is always lying about my husband and it tics me off. She has been trying to get rid of since I married her son. I want her to get help.

Answer Question
Randall R.

Asked by Randall R. at 6:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2013 in Health

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You need to contact social services and speak with them. It is important that you mention that you feel she poses a threat to those around her. Getting the support of other family members in this would also be a real help.

    Answer by SWasson at 6:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

  • You've got to be able to prove she is a danger to herself and others to have her committed to the psyche ward. However you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. She has got to want help for herself or your efforts are wasted.

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

  • You cannot make her get help. You can call the authorities if she is a danger to herself or others though.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 6:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

  • You can not force anyone to get and be helped. You can refuse to allow her to live with you. This may set off a reaction severe enough that you may need to call the police. What happens next is determined by the judge

    Answer by Dardenella at 6:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

  • You need to get out the 'hood girlfriend.
    Detach from these wackos and live your life far far away from there.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.