ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis) Autism...

Our son has autism... We have him in a couple different programs now, and they are working for now. There are other programs that are coming up that I would like to try, but there is a dalema going on.. My husband want our son to go into ABA therapy. I am not so sure about it, as they say that they need between 25 to 40 hours a week with the child. So, if they do 40 hours a week, where does the child get socialization in and stuff like that.

The school comes in twice a week with a special ed teacher and a speech therapist and they work with him, and he is going to see a skills worker and he is involved with a thing through school called Birth to Five, and after his appointment on Wed, when seeing his skills worker, I take him to a park and so on to be around other kids...
So I am wondering... Has anyone else with autisic children used ABA before, and what are the good and bad things about it?

Neeters1

Asked by Neeters1 at 5:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has ABA therapy right after his Kindergarten class. He attends a typical afterschool program. The ABA therapist helps him with homework, and helps him play with the other boys. They also come into his class and they act as a 1-1 aide for certain tasks. If your son does not attend afterschool programs, you can get them to come to your house. I would have a list of things you want him to improve (example: Resond to questions at leat 50% of the time, ask who what where when why 50%, etc.) and put this in your ABA document.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I found out my daughter was on the autism spectrum after she was 4 years old and did not do ABA. By that time, she had been in speech therapy for a couple years and was in special ed. They changed her placement to autism at that time but nothing changed. She was high level so she did not absolutely need ABA. But ABA is crucial for a child with true autism. Socialization cannot happen until other skills are made. I felt special ed addressed all my daugher's needs for basic school readiness skills. She is 7 now and in a mainstream class with a lot of support. There are a lot of areas of concern and she is just not at the cognitive or social level of her peers. She makes progress at her own pace. I would get some recommendations from the professionals that work with your child.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 12:59 AM on Feb. 21, 2009