How do you deal with your teenage drama?

My dd is such a drama queen. I love her with every ounce of my body. I have fought for her since I found out I was pregnant with her and have always looked out for the best for her. I'm not perfect and I know I have failed in many ways. But at the end of the day, there is no doubt in anyone's mind that I love her.

She told someone that she is going to kill herself. I talked to her about it and she said that she said she felt like she wanted to but that she wasn't going to. There have been no other signs and I don't think for a second that she is suicidal. I know it was only said for attention. She gets LOTS of attention.

I laid into her. I told her that I love her very much and there are many others that do. I told her that her life isn't that bad and that she needs to knock off that kind of talk. She said she isn't going to do anything.

We've gone down the counseling road and the counselors have told us point blank that she isn't suicidal and that she just does this for attention. But we can't say that because that only makes matters worse. We've tried many different counselors. We've tried medication. We've tried ignoring her (which doesn't seem right to me but it was a suggestion). We've tried smothering her with attention. Nothing seems to help.

I don't really know what else to do. Any suggestions?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 12:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Did she see more than one counselor & get the same opinions? If not, you may want to try again w/ a new counselor. Is she involved in any sports or clubs? Keeping teens busy w/ outside activities can help. Just keep assuring her of your love & find ways to help boost her self esteem. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Saying that she is going to kill herself is SERIOUS talk. Do not tolerate it for anything. You MUST believe that she means what she says. The very next time she threatens to kill herself, bundle her into the car and drive straight to the hospital and admit her to the psych ward under a 72 hour suicide watch.

Either she will get the help she needs, or she will realize that those words are too serious to be tossed around.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:33 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• A lot of it is hormones, and there isn't much you can do for those. Hugs.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Well, there's something to be said for 72 hours on a psych ward thinking about whether threatening to kill yourself is really the road you want to go down. I spent a night there once, not for suicidal ideas but because I was having unexplained seizures, and I sure wouldn't say or do anything that would put me back behind those doors again. If that kind of talk truly is for attention, your daughter may find she doesn't want that kind of attention after all. If it isn't, you may get the breakthrough you're looking for.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Seems you are doing the right things, but never for a moment discard her feeling as "she will never do this"...keep an eye out for her 24/7.....

Answer by older at 7:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I'd suggest a pet so that she knows she has unconditional love. We can tell them we love them all we want but there's just something about an animal curled up in your lap purring/licking/etc you that tells you you're loved.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Have you tried BC. She is a teen. You have went to professionals and they told you she is not suicidal. 

Time for some tough love. 

Answer by louise2 at 8:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Have you tried having her help/teach someone that is in a serious situation? I find that we all learn the most when were teaching,
    and especially when we're helping someone that really does " have it worse than we do"
    good luck
    Longemom

Answer by Longemom at 9:58 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• so after rereading your post, it sounds like she is very insecure. Now the Question is "how do I build my childs self esteem"
    Do not put her in a psych ward- I've had experience with my daughter at 15- She had been Ill for over 6 months. We took her to mayo clinic, Johns Hopkins, Primary children's hops. the list goes on. Still no diagnosis. My daughter lost the ability to walk, stand, read, etcetera.
    It only took 1 arrogant MD to accuse her of "making up her illness" not sure how she was making up the fever of 105...
    bottom line, because she was under age & hysterical, my husband demanded that she be released, CPS entered the picture.
    over $300,000.00 in attorneys fees and 1 year later i finally got my daughter back. that was 7 years ago, and unfortunately she is still very ill. Her therapy dog is better than a counselor ! and much better than drugs.
    Longemom

Answer by Longemom at 10:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Don't get involved unless another parent is if not let your teen handle it because that will teach your child how to stand up for them self
    Mia944

Answer by Mia944 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2013