What is the easiest way to get my 16 month old son off his bottle... He only wants it for nap an bed time.. He will take his cup during the day...

Kingsmommie2012

Asked by Kingsmommie2012 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give him a bottle. Send him to bed with a cup, if he doesn't want it he doesn't want. He will sleep, but don't give in. Then eventually don't send him with anything.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Lose it. Literally. Be totally unable to find it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Cuddle a lot and maybe introduce a "lovie" during your bedtime routine. Plus put less and less in the bottle and provide the cup too. Drop the amount in the bottle gradually over a few days and then drop it again over another few days, etc. Once you decide on your plan do not go back. It takes time and you may have to listen to some fussing.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Is it really that big of a deal. If it's a comfort to him, maybe consider leaving him with it a little bit longer. My daughters kept their breakfast bottle until a few months after their 3rd birthday. No biggie. When we did decide to stop they were quite happy with that and there was no fuss, no tears and no guilt (on my part :) ).
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 7:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• What is in the bottle? If you're giving him milk or juice, you could be setting him up for tooth damage.

But I agree with goldpandora - it's a comfort for him. There are so few comforts in our lives. Why are we in such a hurry to take our babies' comforts away from them? I also agree with silverthreads - try to introduce a lovey of some kind so that when he does give up his bottle, he still has a comfort object with him.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I didn't take the bottle away till my daughter was two, but I didn't put her to bed with it. I let her drink it, then brushed her teeth and tucked her in. Still, it was hard for her to give it up. Once I made the decision, I stuck to it, in spite of a lot of tears. We threw the bottles in the trash, after she told them she was a big girl and said bye-bye to them. It took a long time for her to adjust, but there was no going back because that would have only made it worse.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• If you just put water in it before bed, what's the big deal? I switched to water only when my son was almost 2 thinking he wouldn't like it anymore, but he loved the water and kept it for another year. It was his comfort and made him feel good. What's the rush. Now he's 8 and it doesn't matter if he got off the bottle at 1 or 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2013