Contractions every night after work?

I'm 35 weeks pregnant with my second child. I am working full time at a childcare facility and I work with the two year olds (I have 14 in my class). I'm on my feet all day; chasing kids, changing diapers and cleaning my room at the end of the night.

The last week and a half or so I've started having contractions on the drive home from work. I know they aren't REAL labor contractions as they fizzle off and stop eventually but they are pretty strong and consistent for a few hours each night. I'd say on average they last from 6pm (end of my shift) to about 11pm and I'll have up to 8 in an hour. I see my doctor soon but I'm wondering if this is something I should be calling them about? I go in on tuesday and that seems soon enough for me but I don't really know how normal this is?

Any advice?

collegexmamix28

Asked by collegexmamix28 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I am one that says this sounds like it is worth a call. I imagine you are over doing at work, 8 an hour sounds like alot! I think you should call today!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:04 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• It is pretty normal. If it goes on into the night, then worry and call your doctor. When I was pregnant with my second son I had contractions all the time. I "knew" I was in labor several times. Nope... just braxton hicks. I will say that I really tried to relax through the contractions and when I went in to have him I was already 4cms. It was by far my easiest birth.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• SleepingBeautee - I'm thinking that will be the case for me too...I'm hoping that these contractions are at least making some progress so that when I finally do go into labor I'll have a head start and possibly a pretty easy labor.
    collegexmamix28

Comment by collegexmamix28 (original poster) at 9:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• It's definitely normal to start having Braxton hicks, but it does sound like its due to overdoing it at work.

Answer by missanc at 9:33 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• The part I am worried about is you describe them as strong? I think when I had braxton hicks they were more like an intense period cramp, and didn't come at 8 an hour, I assume everyone is different, but make the call at least to make yourself feel better :)
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• It sounds like it's time to cut down before they turn into real contractions
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Braxton Hicks are normal, but if they are consistant it's worthy of mention to your OB.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Thanks ladies! I'm going to go ahead and give the doc a call today and see what she thinks. I go in on tuesday to be checked for the first time so it'll be interesting to see if these contractions have caused any change in my cervix.
    collegexmamix28

Comment by collegexmamix28 (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• It means you're over doing it, and if you're the same one who's been bitching about the daycare she works for, not getting bathroom breaks, etc, maybe it's time to take your leave NOW, and get things lined up for another job when you are ready to return to work.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• You know, at the very least, I'd get an assistant lined up in the classroom, or a backup plan, in case those contractions turn into something more in a big hurry. The last thing you want is fourteen two-year-olds depending on you while you're delivering a baby in the middle of the storytime rug.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2013