Apparently it's impossible to get rid of your cable! [irritated]

so i have verizon for my cable/internet provider and with the recent shit that went down i want to cancel my cable. i just paid the bill so now is the perfect time. i am NOT under contract so i have the freedom to do this. i went to check online first to see if i could do it myself, and was chatting with a live agent. she says the cancellation can't be done online but it's advisable to keep the cable and just downgrade. internet alone is only $35 cheaper a month and will "cost more" because i wont have a bundle. well technically it won't 'cost more' because my bill will be cheaper and my bill is never what it's suppose to be anyway. it's only suppose to be $109.99/mo for cable & internet and it's always like $150 or more after taxes, service fees, and if i rent a movie or two. i'd much rather just have internet and netflix! i get that she's a sales person and needs to figure out a way to make ME spend the most amount of money possible without actually making it seem that way but damn.... guess i have to call and speak to a person now just for them to try and push me into more shit that i don't want and talk me out of what i actually do want.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2013 in Technology

• That's expensive! Be pushy and persistent.. bunch of assholes always want to sell you the unnecessary.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• years back
    got my only collections call
    from a cable company
    we paid bill cancelled service (we were moving) and never got it again when we moved

the collections woman did not want to tell me want the bill was for- which i found very odd
    until she quietly whispered it was for 2 cents

yes, that is not a typo
    2 cents
    from the cable company

i laughed so hard, told her i was going to keep her on the phone for as long as possible to rack up the long distance call this company was making for 2 CENTS

cable companies, got to love them
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:56 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• i'm just wondering what's going to happen to all the movies i've paid for through their Pay Per View service. like i actually bought them full price so i can watch them anytime. i wonder if that goes toward some kind of store credit or refund, or if they're just like 'well you're canceling the cable so fuck you and your movies!"
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• do they have an actual store? when we cancelled ours we finally just had to take our cable box, remote, & wires to the store and told them we were done. the sales clerk was so shocked he canceled it without a fight! cable is ridiculously expensive, especially when Netflix/Hulu gets you everything but sports for next to nothing. good luck getting it canceled!

also, they may be trying to work around you b/c if you just paid your bill they have to give you some back...if your's is paid ahead like ours was.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Comcast will not cancel through their chat function. You need to call between business hours. They will let you go easily and most likely offer you a 40/month Internet plan to keep your business. If your children are in school and on free or reduced lunch they offer a 9.95 a month Internet plan, you need to have a 90 day window of no comcast service though. Your movies will be gone.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• They bill on a past cycle so you will probably still have to pay another bill.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:12 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• We did this with Comcast a few months ago. I found the quickest way to shut them down, shut them up, and get them to cancel my cable: "Unless you have a package that can beat $8/month, I'm no longer interested in cable service." I't was hilarious listening to them stutter and stumble all over themselves.

So now we have internet, phone, and Netflix and our bill is STILL way lower than what it was with cable. NO ONE can beat Netflix's $8/month
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• When we dropped cable tv service about 4 years ago, Comcast only dropped our rate by $10 to just have internet.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:33 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Verizon is the absolute suckiest company on the planet. Watch your ass. Triple check everything, and then check again. Get names and dates whenever you talk to anyone, and always read the fine print. I joined up with a class action lawsuit and actually managed to recover a bit of the money I lost dealing with that crooked outfit, but I wouldn't do businesss with Verizon again if they actually paid me to.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• You can't do it online because they want someone to talk you into keeping it. They have a whole department called "retention" to keep people from cancelling completely... I tried to cancel my phone and TV (and just keep internet), so now I STILL have phone and TV, pay $60 less, PLUS I get HBO, Starz and their new streampix thing whatever that is.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2013