Apparently I have a new allergy

We went to Fleet Farm (a store geared towards farming and hunting) and both my son and I broke out in hives that went away in about an hour's time. Today I went to Dollar Tree and had the same reaction (redness around my nose,chin,and hairline) It itches and burns.
The only thing the 2 stores have in common is the Xmas decorations.
Any idea what type would cause hives? I didn't touch any of them,so it has to be airborne.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2013 in Health

• Are you allergic to rodents? Maybe mice & rats hitched a ride when the stock was shipped to those stores or the decorations are leftover from last year & mice were living inside where they were stored. A lot of that stuff is sprayed with a flame retardant also. Maybe you are allergic to what it was sprayed with? My Artificial Christmas Tree came with a form that it was treated with a flame retardant & I get red itchy blotches on my arms & hands when we put it up.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Maybe the chemical preservative they put on goods being shipped.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I can't be around the clothing stores when they are putting out new merchandise because of the dust. I can't even try clothing on hardly....

Where there a bunch of boxes? Boxes bother my allergies too.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Evergreens? That's one of the first things I think of when you mention Xmas decorations.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:53 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Whatabout that cheap fake smelly pine-scented stuff that comes out in stores this time of year? It gags me and can trigger severe migraines,though I've never gotten hives from it. I have to be careful where I go and I've been known to stop dead in my tracks and turn right around and leave a store; people must think I'm crazy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I'd guess the fake scents- like cinnamon scented candles or fake pine?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I was thinking of that the cheap plastic gives off fumes,like a new shower curtain
    Nope,no real stuff,no evergreens

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Ewww! I hope not,but I wouldn't rule it out.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I'd take a Benadryl,but we're taking my son to the doctor soon,and I don't want to fall asleep on the trip

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2013