My three month old uses my breast to self sooth. He will not accept a passifyer and sucking on his hands are not very comforting him.

Because he can not self sooth he will not fall asleep on his own. He usually breastfeed right before bed and falls asleep wile attached to the breast. He will also not sleep with out being swaddled. So, when should I stop swaddling him and how can I get him to self sooth? Is letting him comfort suck on the breast ok or should I stop him from that too?

tannersmom2013

Asked by tannersmom2013 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everything is dead on target for his age. Really, leave it be. It's fine. Way too early to expect self-soothing.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Just do whatever helps him sleep. It's ok to nurse to sleep. He'll grow out of it and you'll miss it. Swaddling is fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Why?
    If you have concerns or maybe you just want him off the breast or unswaddled, you need to ask your doctor. I did whatever made my infants the most comfortable. Others don't agree.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• You might introduce a "lovie" of some sort while you nurse. He might become attached to that and you could start a soothing, cuddling bedtime routine that, for now, includes the breastfeeding, but over time does not. You want to get to the point where you do your routine to relax the baby, but he is put down groggy, not asleep and he can then self soothe. This change has to come about over time though. It doesn't happen all at once.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• He's had 3 months to try and adjust to a brand new, terrifying world. How much do you expect from him right now? I agree with gdiamante, there is NOTHING wrong with him right now. Babies don't start figuring out how to self soothe until AT LEAST six months old, and even then it's iffy. Don't change anything. He's still on a feed on demand schedule, not yours.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I never thought there was anything wrong with my son. I just wanted to make sure I was doing things right. As a first time mom I have read/heard diffrent things and just wanted to see other peoples oppinions to the subject. I read that by 3 months they should be self soothing and putting them self to sleep. I just want toake sure I'm not creating bad habits for my son. We do have a bed time routine that we follow every night and he is in bed by the same time each night. Thank you all for the advice.
    tannersmom2013

Comment by tannersmom2013 (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• For the most part, follow your mommy instincts. If it helps your baby sleep, keep doing it. Baby will let you know when baby is done with whatever.

And for what it's worth, my 11 month old still won't put herself to sleep. She still needs momma's boobie to go to sleep.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• He is capable of following asleep on es not make him feel less loved, it will make him stronger if anythiindividual. So with that said dont let him fre. I wean babies for a living I know what im talking about:) }pat him to sleep in his crib every night. He will cry. Let him cry. If dhe a not asleep by 20 minuteof u patting him then somethings wrong an dc u can pick him up and feed him more but simply because he s hingru NOY because u habe in and want to swaddle him! U can swaddle him too in his crib while you pay. The weaning of swaddling can come later once hes mastered falling asleep on own
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2013

• Nothing wrong with nursing to sleep. Just follow your baby's lead.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 13, 2013