Child abuse charity refuses $3k donation from mom group, because they have tattoos.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/life/11-06-13-childrens-advocacy-center-denton-county-rejects-donation-tattooed-hippie-pirate-mommas/

Anyone think the children being helped by the charity give a damn if the donors had tattoos or not?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Well then, I guess another charitable organization will be happy to accept the $3,000 that was turned down by this organization.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• The people that contribute and get help from that charity should kick the butt of the individuals who made that decision!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• So This only tells me that they are more interested in publicity. They have gotten their moment in the sun but trashing someone else. Good for them.

If the group doesn't want their money ,for whatever reason, so what? There is someone who will. It is time to stop running to the press anytime you don't get to do what you want. This is so childish.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• So This only tells me that they are more interested in publicity. They have gotten their moment in the sun but trashing someone else.

But it states in the article that this was not their intent. Did you read the entire piece?
    Daigen

Answer by Daigen at 2:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• " Willingham is frustrated with all the negative attention the rejection has caused. Willingham says she never meant to shame the Children's Advocacy Center and was simply trying to inform her group that they needed to pick a new charity.

"It was just supposed to be a public service announcement," Willingham says. "I'm surprised it has blown up like this. We're not negative people."
    Daigen

Answer by Daigen at 2:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• the child abuse charity should have made it very clear in the first letter that the issue was the "pin-up" calendar and not the group itself. i can understand not wanting to use proceeds from something many ppl will see as sexual, since they're fighting against sexual abuse. it'd be like MADD taking proceeds from a beer bottle koozy fundraiser...just not wise. however, it seems suspicious they didnt mention it in the first letter.

i feel bad for the mom's group tho...they just want to help their area.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I did bu tell me how did the story get to the press if they did go running and crying to them that the unfair charity wouldn't let them donate?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

Yeah, because a story on a local current events site in the same town where it happened is totally the same thing as going to the press. They had a conversation on facebook with the charity, other people thought the charity was being especially dickish, and told a local news site. Local news site wrote a story, more people thought the charity was being dickish, and began sharing it online. Welcome to the 21st century.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• i feel bad for the mom's group tho...they just want to help their area.

And obviously, even after it's happened, some people are more interested in blaming the victim. Ironic, considering what the charity is supposed to help.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Funny that I did not read that their conversation was held on facebook and in the public eye. Bad on both parties then for having a private conversation on the public area of their facebook and not in a personal message. I did read that the letter, stated that the charity had viewed the groups facebook site. I been in this century a very long time Thankyou though for the welcome.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2013