Delivering breech babies...?

My DH was breech, and he was delivered vaginally butt first. I don't think this is usually desirable, and I don't even know if that doctor thought it was a good idea or if it was just too late for a section. BUT... How many of you were delivered breech? How many of you have delivered breech babies?
Why is it bad to deliver a breech baby vaginally? Do they get stuck or something? Is it just harder on mom's vagina? I'm being honest, I really don't understand why butt first or foot first is unsafe.

MamaCatCat

Asked by MamaCatCat at 5:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Breech is usually only considered dangerous if the attendant is not trained & experienced. (Like most OBs.) Many women in the U.S. and all over the world have vaginal breech deliveries everyday, it is a variation of normal.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Here are articles I found on delivering breech babies. Hope this helps.

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5275,00.html

http://www.fairview.org/healthlibrary/content/wha_vagbree_wha.htm
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Well, my baby is breech and I was told for first time mothers they don't do it b/c you've never given birth before and they don't know how you're body is going to react. They said that if this were my 3rd or 4th kid and the baby was breech, they'd just let her come out vaginally, but it's risky for first time mothers.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• (above)   How your "body is going to react"? (I don't understand what that means.)   EVERY labor & birth is different. A mom's body is going to surge with hormones and contract, working to expel the baby.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I always thought that it was not desirable because the cord can get tangled or smashed cutting off the babies air supply.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 5:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my husband was delivered but 1st now he is call butthole baby but he was delivered 30 years ago my mother in law said it was no different than having her other to kids who where born the right way
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My understanding is that the baby's head is the widest part of the body, and it is much easier to be able to push out the baby when they are head first. Sometimes the baby's head could get stuck, and cut off their oxygen supply.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 5:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My husband's sister was delivered breech and my dtr was too. They were small so it was ok. And my dtr was the second twin which also makes it ok.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Breech is only dangerous because OB's are ignorant on how to deliver them... Seriously, the logic that the cervix "closes" around breech babies after the feet delivered, and kills them, is a complete fallacy I mean, once the head's delivered the cervix doesn't begin to close around the rest of the body.

C/S pay more, so of course an OB would love to give a women that then allow her body to do what nature intended.

My friend was delivered butt first, vaginally, and full term. No interventions at all. The best position to be in is standing up to deliver breech as well, and to have no interference.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2009