Please keep the Philippines in your thoughts

There is a huge typhoon (Cat 5+) bearing down on them. I don't know if it's hit yet, but they're screwed right now.

Last month or so they were hit with a ton of earthquakes. Some of the 100+ aftershocks registered at 5.something.

My uncle's second wife and her kids (not his) live there, and some of my fellow Taekwondo students have family over there. Please think protective healing thoughts for them. They need it.

http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/One-of-greatest-storms-in-recorded-history-bearing-down-on-Philippines-231039381.html

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 6:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh! I have been watching it on Accuweather's satellite  today. It looks like a monster storm. They say it is affecting 1/3 or so of the planets weather. I'm praying for those people to get through safely.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• That's terrible. A dear friend of mine is married to a man who has a lot of family and friends over there. This is the last thing that country needs.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:20 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• We will say a prayer for ease thru difficult times.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• dang...how long were those winds sustained? cause if thats the 10 min sustained thats higher winds than super typhoon Bart and it ripped trees right out of the ground in Okinawa. and that island is built for typhoons. and with the large population living in poverty...this could get sad really fast. theyre in my thoughts.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• It looks like a monster storm

Biggest on record. Sustained winds of 195mph and gusts of 235mph.

In comparison, Hurricane Andrew, also a Category 5, topped out at 165 mph sustained with gusts to 200 mph when it smashed into Florida. Hurricane Katrina reached a top wind speed of 173 mph but weakened to a Category 3 before landfall in Louisiana.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Sorry, clicky works now.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Wow, and a lot of the huts there are bamboo and tin scraps.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:01 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• dunno okmanders, the article didn't say.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Praying that the damage and loss is minimal.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2013