Do you give up

If your in or want a serious relationship do you give up your friends I the opposit sex? I'm jw bc I honestly refuse to give up my friends esp when they have been my good friends for a long time .... I'm asking because a lot of friends I've had or have stopped talking to thier friends of the opposit sex so they could be in a relationship with a guy/girl. I think if your boyfriend SO or girlfriend makes/asks you to do this your relationship won't last

What do you think is that a do or a don't??

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2013 in Relationships

• Personally, I think jealousy is the kiss of death in a relationship. I wouldn't go hang out and have drinks with my male friends all the time, or be physically affectionate with them, but I've got a couple that I still chat with. Mostly on IM or by phone or email now since we don't live close, but my boyfriend doesn't have an issue with that, nor do I have a problem with him talking to women he knows. We're both adults.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Jealousy shouldn't be... But I guess some ppl can't handle it?? I agree with you tho
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I had a Bridal shower that consisted of 20 male co-workers (Jail Guards) taking me out to dinner. Their gift to me was the silverware, salt & pepper shakers, shot glasses etc. from our table. LOL! One of them was part owner of the restaurant BTW. My DH (Fiance') at the time was NOT invited. He was perfectly fine with it too. It's really all about trust IMO.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I agree with Ballad. I also think sometimes it goes beyond jealousy and becomes a control thing. After being married to hitler for over 10 yrs, I have lots of control issues. Meaning that if someone tries to control me, I shut down and drive that person out of my life. I don't care how much you claim to love me, you are NOT telling me that I can't be friends with someone just because that person is a guy.

My SO has a few friends that are female and I have no problem with him being friends with them. He respects me too much to go out drinking alone with them and vice versa for me. But I have hung out with him and his female friends. Not an issue.

It all boils down to trust, respect and love. If you mutually don't have those 3 things, you don't belong together.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• The person who told me I had to make a choice between them or my friends would lose me.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• No, granted most of my male friends here are my husbsnd's friends, because most of male friends from before live in Wy or Co and I live in Japan.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I've never really had friends of the opposite sex, so not an issue here.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I'm just shocked at how many ppl lose friends bc thier SO doesn't want them talking to other girls or guys 0.o .... Crazy
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Being in a relationship wouldn't be reason to stop having friends. And I wouldn't expect a partner to ask that of me. I haven't witnessed that in people I know, and I haven't lost any guy friends when they started relationships.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 4:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2013