How do I NOT get excited about this?

On Monday, I found out that my boss and a few other people were "let go". Um, how do you fire my boss? That's just crazy. So after a few days of "they sky is falling, what am I going to do without my fearless leader", I'm starting to adjust. I was told that I will be the last man standing (meaning that my job is secure as I will be the last one to be fired) and that I am valuable to the company. The supervisors in the other departments have noticed my skills and my work ethics and have gone to bat for me to continue to work at my company.

Today a supervisor from another department asked if she could give me some of her work to do. She has to clear it with her boss but that shouldn't be a problem. She said that she knows I'm good at my job and would have no problem with the additional tasks but she really needs help. I doubt this would mean a pay raise but it will look good on my resume and makes me more valuable to the company. Plus makes me feel better.

Just the fact that she asked me makes me feel good about myself. I have to wait until next week for an answer. In the meantime, how do I NOT get excited about this?

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 9:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2013 in Money & Work

• Get excited because just by being asked, you've been spotted as valuable and capable. No one can take that away! If you actually get to do the extra stuff so much the better. Congrats, and sorry about your boss. Work shake ups are unsettling, say the least.

tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Sounds like good news!

If you do take this on, be sure to give yourself credit for it the next time you have an employee evaluation or do a job interview within the company.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Hey I would be excited, good job!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Congrats for the opportunity! That is exciting. Sad for your boss that got canned though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Why not get excited? Even if you don't get the extra work, you got a nice confidence boost. You go, girl!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• I think you should get excited all you want. This is wonderful!.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2013

• Get excited. Just don't let it go to your head. The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. It's okay to be proud of your hard work. Just know that this doesn't mean you're on top because you have people vouching for you. It means you have to work even hardernow to continue to prove them right. Good luck and congrats.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• it may happen it may not , be nuetral and just wait and see
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:04 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Is the company letting others go because they were not doing their jobs, or did it save them money to let higher priced people go and have lower priced people do more work?
    If second, be glad you are paid less to do more work
    Be excited
    And worried if and when they pay you more and then hire even lower priced people...this is how I was downsized

Good for you
    But Watch your back
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:00 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Even IF her boss says no, you can be excited that she considered you!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2013