Cops beat man with Downs over colostomy bag

http://libertycrier.com/22-year-old-syndrome-beaten-police-bulge-pants-colostomy-bag/

Gilberto-Powell

As someone pointed out in the comments, at least they didn't kill him like the 13 year old kid who had the nerve to turn around and see who was yelling at him.  Are police getting more paranoid, or is this like crime in general - there have always been bad cops, we just hear about them more often than we used to?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:21 AM on Nov. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Police are paranoid.

Answer by louise2 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• I cant read it, things like this make my BP rise then I get a terrible headache. Police may be paranoid but I can tell you that out of 5 friends who are married to law enforcement, only one of them is not a dick at home so I can only imagine how he is on the streets!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:13 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Always has been bad cops and there will always be. As everything else in this world, there is just more media exposure. You really want to find out? Ask some of those women who have repeatedly tried to get their help over domestic disputes for years and years.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:36 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• The picture made me sick, I hope that someone sues the pants off of the department.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• What the cop did makes me sick, and there is no excuse for it, but he asked the kid what the bulge was and he ran, the cop think its a weapon, drugs, something. Why else would someone run? Thats the way we are trained. As for asking if the cop knew if he had downs syndrome, he doesn't look like the kids I seen with DS. Or at least not as severe. Besides, thanks to the lack of money, many police agencies lack the training with interacting with emotionally disturbed people or people with disabilities such as this guy.
    But yes this cop was over the line despite any excuses he has. There is no reason for the his face to look like it does. NONE!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:23 AM on Nov. 9, 2013

• I am sickened by this for so many obvious reasons. And Miami Dade seems to be a hotbed for police brutality lately.

The article isn't clear about the incident. In a vain effort to justify this, I want to know was the assault in the day or dark? Did the victim behave in any suspicious way other than the bulge in his pants?

I don't agree with this and police are not, by and large, MBA degree holders, but are they so freaked out by crime lately that common sense is a thing of the past? Miami is admittedly, its own niche market, being a gateway to other countries/islands that bring their own host of problems unique to other mainland USA cities. Even so, can these cops not identify a mentally challenged person when they see one? Do they take the time to "see?"
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:31 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• Are police getting more paranoid, or is this like crime in general - there have always been bad cops, we just hear about them more often than we used to?

I think it is a combination of both. Violent crime is on the rise and with technology and social media we do hear (and actually see for ourselves) more about police brutality. There are bad cops out there. There will always be bad cops out there, however, the good cops far outweigh the bad. More training and more corrections of bad cop behavior could help lessen this, however, with that comes extra time and money and most departments don't have either to spare.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:32 AM on Nov. 10, 2013