What would you have done in my situation? adult content

My when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter my son was 4 getting ready to be 5 so he was at that curious stage of wanting to know how everything worked and happens and my husband have a rule that we will be honest with our children but explain things in age appropriate ways because we believe if you are honest with your children they can feel comfortable enough to be honest with you as well so he when asked how the baby got in my tummy so I told him "daddy put aseed into my tummy that grows into a baby and mommy has to help it grow til its ready to come" then he asked what the baby looks like so I installed "baby center" app on my phone to show him the stages of growth. A few days later he comes to me upset telling me I had lied to him and it "hurt his heart" confused I asked what he was talking about so he told me I said daddy put a seed in my tummy and that's not what happens and he started explaining "how babies are made" in detail. I asked who had told him how babies where made and he told me the picture thing you put on your phone has the videos (which I didn't really pay mind to) and he watched them so my husband and I sat down with him and apologized that he felt we lied to him but we didn't think he was old enough to know those details just yet. Well he is now 6 and when people ask what he wants to be when he grows up he says he want to go in to the Army to pay for school and be an obstetrician then people look at us weird and say he's to young to know what that is and stuff well yesterday some lady started yelling at me telling me I was a horrible person for exposing my children to that stuff so young and my husband and I should be in jail for that because its abuse.

BTW my son is 6 but is very wise beyond his year to where his teachers want to move him up a grade.

PLEASE NO RUDE COMMENTS...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• Tell her when she needs an OB/GYN she should look him up.

Keep telling your child the truth. Nobody but you will have to answer for the things you say. If she wants to lie to her kids, that's all on her.
    *I am curious about what kind of videos he was seeing that explained to him how conception happens, but if it's from a babycenter app it wouldn't be so questionable. I think you are fine. Let her report you for telling your child the truth. She will look like the nut.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:16 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• not abuse at all
    that woman should mind her own business and take a few chill pills

i found out how babies are made at six, but because best friends sister was raped and her mother told her everything
    she did not go into what rape was, just the bio facts
    did not bother me at all...until she said that is what your parents did to make you- that was gross (at any age-lol)

you did just fine

nurse two doors down has taught her kids (one 6 months younger than mine) all correct terms and that kid is fine
    i do not go to this level because my child is 'younger' in thoughts
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:27 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• I agree with the other two poster.... That is not abuse and your son sounds very smart! Just keep doing what your doing!!!! Congrats on the new baby!!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• I call BS. Yes I do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• The child knows what an obstetrician is since you are pregnant. DUH. I would have said that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• My son learned how babies were made (accurately and with correct details) when he was in pre-school, because his best friend had a new baby sister, and his parents had explained to him how she got there. It was very matter of fact, on a school field trip. Both of us (the moms) were there, as was the teacher. His mom checked with me to see if I was upset (I wasn't), but the whole lesson took all of about 3 sentences, so it was already done anyway.

This prudishness about kids knowing where babies come from is really only a condition of the years between WWII and the turn of the century (though some are desperately clinging to it). Before that, all kids knew how babies were made, because they saw animal babies being made as part of their normal day to day existence.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Oh, good grief. You handled your situation wonderfully.

When my daughter was 3, her best friend's mom was a professor of human sexuality. She also believed in calling body parts by their correct names, and that child knew how babies were made just as well as my daughter knew her parts of speech (I was an English teacher at the time). Anyway, when I picked up my daughter from preschool one day, the teacher told me that they had read a book about families, so a child (she did right by protecting the child's identity) shared with the class every detail about how babies were made. She wanted us to be prepared. The child's mom, who outed her own child, apologized to us. But to me, it wasn't an issue.

You teach your child the way he needs to be taught. If he wants to be an OB/GYN, that's great. We need those doctors. If he changes his mind later, that's great, too. Help him grow into who he is supposed to be. That's our job.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• You did fine.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• It's the facts of life. Now he knows. It's not like you told him that you were on top and daddy went down on you for foreplay.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2013