Update to typhoon in Philippines

Just read an article this morning that the damage looks minimal. The typhoon blew through fast enough that it was unable to bombard the islands with its massive rainfall. As of now there are four confirmed dead and 750,000 fled/were evacuated. Typhoon Haiyan blew across the islands east to west hitting Samar, Leyte, Cebu and Panay.

The sustained winds of 195 mph and gusts of 235 mph were from the US naval readings which only read for 1 minute. Local reading were a bit lower. Locals reported sustained winds of 147 mph and gusts of 170 mph.

~~~~

Either way, that's one BIG storm.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-world/20131108/AS-Philippines-Typhoon/

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 11:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• That sounds like good news so far, with exception to the loss of life.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Oh! That's one big storm, but it could have been soooo much worse! *Relieved sigh.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• From what I have read the body count is up around 1,200 now. How horrifying and devastating for the people there.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:02 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• so very sad...ive seen first hand some really bad typhoons, but only one came close to that level, and even then the winds were 30 kph lower. those poor ppl...typhoons are merciless, especially when you dont have adequate shelter. so very sad.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:14 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Yeah. This was looking like the biggest storm on record. I think the saving grace for them was that it moved through so fast, it didn't have time to drop all it's rain and flood the islands.

Hope the fatality numbers stay LOW.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Typhoons suck!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:12 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Thank God that many people were wise enough to evacuate, or it could've been much worse. I hope they can rebuild quickly, b/c I doubt much could withstand that kind of wind speed.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Have you been through any while in Japan AF?

mrsmom, I don't know what's left to rebuild. They were hit by an earthquake not that long ago too, with over 100 aftershocks. Some of those aftershocks registered at 5-point-something.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Those poor people. I just read a story this morning that said at least 100 people are dead & they are expecting that number to rise. So sad. :(
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:20 AM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Yeah, I saw that last night too. So sad.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Nov. 9, 2013