• In the Spotlight:

Lego Friends

Christmas is right around the corner. The only thing my daughter has shown a lot of enthusiasm about this year is Lego Friends, but I'm not super excited about getting her started down that road because she hasn't been particularly responsible about keeping toys with lots of tiny pieces together, and sepping on Legos isn't fun for me. For those of you with little girls, have Lego Friends been something that kept the interest of your daughters, or were they just a passing thing? Were the expensive sets worth the money, or were the smaller, cheaper starter sets good enough to begin with? There's such an overwhelming range, from little beginner things that cost just $10 to $12, up to huge fancy sets that cost an arm, a leg, and half your liver.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 11:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2013 in Shopping

• I can't wait until my 3 yo is old enough for them! From experience with my 13 yo ds and almost 5 yo ds and regular Legos - they play with them, LOTS. My 13 yo has the castle collection with some of the larger sets. He no longer plays with it, but my younger son turned his "train table" into a "Lego table" and has the Lego sets out on it and does lots of pretend/imaginative play with it. I love the table because it keeps the legos together and off the floor. You might could find an inexpensive used one online. If space is an issue, a big box along with Lego sets is a must. Keep the directions too! If anything comes apart you want to know how to get it back together.
    We're starting the Lego city collection for my 5 yo this year, but only smaller sets that he can put together with minimal help, I think the most expensive is in the $30s

Answer by missanc at 4:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• I saw them at ToysRUs. They even sell sets with lighting now. My Son has some regular sets & he doesn't play with them much. Believe it or not, he & his little sister like the Lego Duplo sets better. We have a Thomas the Train set that they have been playing with for the past few days. They are easier to put together & make something quick before they lose their attention for it & easier to clean up too. If she has no Lego Duplos (the bigger block sets) I would start with one of those.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• I have bought the smaller sets for DD. She likes them, but doesn't play with them consistantly. She loved the advent calendar of Lego Friends I got for her last year as well. I bought an inexpensive bin for her to keep her loose pieces in, so that helps keep the little pieces off the floor.
    Now if I could only get DS to do the same with his little lego pieces.

If she likes to put things together and play with them like a set, then they might last her a while. If she is really creative and likes to build her own things with them, they will last longer and the novelty doesn't wear off.
    I say get her a couple of small sets and maybe a box / bin to keep them in when she isn't playing with them.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:55 AM on Nov. 8, 2013

• I think the advent calendar is a great idea. I also put things like this into Christmas stocking and see how that goes. You can always add to them later.DD was more interested in (I think they were called) my little people or My little friends. I got het an box with a latching lid and stuff to decorate the box We spent a delightful afternoon decorating he mess was contained and encouraging her creativity. I think this helped her want to put her little friends into their special place.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• My DD turns 6 tomorrow, and we bought her the Lego City police station. We started out with the Duplos a few months back, but she wanted the more complicated sets. I would have steered her towards the Friends, but she is into 'boy' toys right now.

How old is your child? If she's still pretty young, I suggest going with the smaller sets first because they take a lot less time to assemble. The instructions are pretty straight forward, but we struggle a bit with her paying attention long enough or skipping steps.

They can get really pricey. This police station is really cool, but it ran us over $80.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• My DD, 9, still loves hers.... we have been collecting the sets for a few years. Perfect for little girls!!! If this is were her interest lies don't trade down and get Duplos!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2013