Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do i make black icing without food colouring?

I need black icing because it's my daughter's birthday and she wants a black coloured cake

Answer Question

Asked by zaisha332 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You don't. You need to get dye (Wiltons or other pro cake places sell it). If you use food coloring the best you'll get is a very runny grey.
    The other option would be to coat the whole thing in gel food coloring (uber expensive). You could possibly ask a local bakery to prepare the icing for you and sell it to you.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

  • Dark Chocolate is the closest to black you can get without using food coloring. Black is not a natural color for food, in concentrate, so if you need blackest black and don't want to use artificial food coloring/dye, you are out of luck :(

    Answer by daylily888 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

  • chocolate is about all you can do- you will need the coloring for black

    Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

  • You can always try asking a local bakery if you could buy some black icing from them for it. Personally I'd buy the cake coloring by Wilton. It will cost about $2.00 for an ounce but you can get ALOT of uses out of it. Just take a tooth pick and drip it in until you get the shade of black you want. It's amazing how little you'll actually use to get it black. Food coloring will never give you a true black. Just a wimpy grey.

    Answer by baconbits at 3:34 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

  • You don't. You can get a darker brown but that is it without food coloring and then it needs to be a gel food coloring.

    Answer by Dardenella at 4:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

  • Sharpie!

    Don't eat it though.

    Answer by staciandababy at 5:19 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.