3rd grade spelling help!

My 3rd graders (twins) are having alot of issues learning their spelling words... (we just started home schooling) I have tried alot of different things to help them learn and memorize their words.. but they seem to be struggling the most with their letter sounds. (they went to public school for 3 years & there was no parent-teacher communication, so I had no idea they were having problems till I started homeschooling them) what can I do to help them? are there any programs I can try with them?

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 3:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My middle son was in the middle of 3rd grade when I took him out of school and started homeschooling him. He still was reading at below 1st grade reading level.

What worked for us was just reading every day. I found the Star Wars "Junior Jedi" series and we would sit on the sofa and read together. We started with him reading the first sentence of each paragraph and me reading the rest of the paragraph, then we moved to him reading the first paragraph on the page and him reading the rest, and eventually he was reading all of it aloud to me. Then one day I was in the kitchen cooking dinner & he came in with the book we were reading and said "Hey mom what's this word." I was stunned because he was reading without me making him. I asked him what he was doing and he said "Well, I don't want to have to wait until school tomorrow to find out what happens next." My child who 3 months earlier couldn't read much less spell was readin
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:18 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• (cont.) for entertainiment. He was reading because it was something that interested him, and his spelling improved dramatically because he could read. I didn't use any special program. I just sat patiently with him each day and sounded out the words until he was confident and understood the sounds.

When he went back to school at the start of 6th grade (by his own choice) this young man who was reading below 3rd grade level at the middle of 3rd grade......by the public school's own testing.....was now readint at 17th grade level. Yep, that's a post graduate reading level. Once he could read books he liked, he could read text books and everything else he wanted to read. I still have the documentation of those school tests because I'm so proud of him.

Today he's a sound engineer, loves his job.....and definitely can read anything he wants. Are there better ways, maybe, but reading is what worked for us.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:22 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• My youngest is in the 3rd grade. Each week they have to divide their spelling words into groups with common themes of how they are spelled. Then they have other activities to do like "rainbow words" where they write out each word in 7 different colors, or writing each word 5 times. Mine always chooses the same activities, so I don't know all of them, but his last one is always a spelling test. And which ever ones he gets wrong I make him write 10 times. He's been bringing home excellent spelling scores this year.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:26 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• I'm proofreading a spelling book right now. The most common strategies seem to be dividing the spelling words into syllables, sorting them into groups based on word sounds like "ow" words and "ou" words, "ear" words and "eer" words and so forth, and writing the words in sentences so that you see them in context.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• I am not trying to insinuate anything , but did you ever consider you twins could be dyslexic ? I mean no insults by it ; but I am and it can come in MANY forms. such as.... I see letters or words that aren't there ( sometimes when I read ) I add words or letters or spell things in a scrambled way with al the right letters. ( not all the time...it is just that I need to slow down and take my time when I read , write spell ..it DOES NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE mean that your twins are not smart IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM..it just means that your kids have a different way , by chance. ) I just wanted to put that out there as a possibility. Sorry if I caused any remorse.

~Cyn
    cynzbryte

Answer by cynzbryte at 9:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Matching symbol to sound is not dyslexia, it is however auditory processing. They also tend to confuse similar sounds and symbols. And often have difficulty with spelling, handwriting, sequencing, and much more. These kids are often home schooled and misdiagnosed. Dyslexia is the inability to decode and then recode words fluently. So a student can know the individual sounds and symbol but put it into an actual word and the brain can't unpack and sort it right again. 1 in five kids have a reading disorder. Orton Gilliam or Wilson method work wonders for kids with reading disorders. We have highly specialized tutors for my daughter.
    Anonymous