guilty for having a sick baby

I'm feeling guilty for stopping breastfeeding my baby when he was about 4 weeks old. He is now always getting sick with a mild bronchitis or some kind of coughing. Am I a bad mom for stopping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope you ARE NOT a bad mother, regardless of what anybody tells you on this site.

I formula fed my children and none of them ever got sick or gets sick!!
    Anonymous

• No, not a bad mom. We all learn from our mistakes. This is just a life lesson. :)
    Anonymous

• breast fed babies get sick also, its not your fault
    Anonymous

• My son was sick more often while breastfeeding. So don't let it make you feel guilty. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen.
    Anonymous

• No way! You just think that because you stopped breastfeeding. I bottlefed both of mine and they are/were healthy as a horse. Its the time of year and a lot of people(old and young) are getting sick.And the weather doesn't help either. Never feel guilty about that. If you don't take care of your child and neglect him or her then yeah feel guilty but not because you stopped breatfeeding. Another thing, get used to it. Kids get sick from everything especially when they start school. SOOOO stop that feeling that way.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• No, no need to feel guilty for stopping breastfeeding. Kids get sick regardless of how they are fed.

IMO, you should talk to your doctor about why he is constantly getting bronchitis or coughing. There could be something in his environment causing it.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• No you aren't I stopped BFing my first DD when she was 5 weeks and I am still BFing my 6 month old since she was born. My 6 month has been sick more often this past 6 months than my older one was her first 6 months. Don't feel bad. Your baby isn't sick because he/she doesn't get breast milk! It is not your fault!!
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 6:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Have you tried relactating? Have you looked into donor milk? Milk banks? I too would feel as you do since the facts do state that breastfeeding lessens the length and strength of sicknesses (no that does not mean breastfeeding = not sick). Look at this as a new day with new determination to seek other options that will help everyone feel better. Good Luck!

Anonymous

• Breastfed babies are sick less often and usually for a shorter period of time. Does that mean that the reason your baby is sick is because you stopped bfing? No. If you quit not long ago, put him back to the breast. It will definitely HELP and surely not hurt his illness. There are moms who's children are breastfed and sick all the time, but what that means is that they could be SICKER if they weren't breastfed. Either way, you're not a bad mom. We all do what we think is best and sometimes, we learn to do things differently later on. If you are interested in bfing, do it. It's never too late.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• no do not feel bad at all...You tried and they got the best colustrom so thats good. Also I am pumping and feeding mine and she gets sick too! No worries....babies like grown up's get sick
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2009